Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Brunson Question.

So I am reading super system and a play that seems totally fundemental in Brunsons strategy still does not seem good to me. maybe I am just too tight also, but heres a paraphrase of the passage.

Brunson raise pf with 76s flop comes A 5 4. With only a backdoor flush. He said he would raise then if reraised he would figure his opponent for AK but still push the flop.

What % of opponents would u try this on?

Do you need a solid read to do this?

Is there a range of limits this is most effective at?

TY
Old 09-01-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Brunson Question.

Your opponent must be capable of laying down AK here.

I think a lot of this goes on at $1k, but I've used it at $600 and $400 max.

When you show down, this creates a lot more action from observant players for your monsters.

If executed with the correct frequency, it's a win win. He will probably fold, but if he calls, you may win + you will get more action on your monsters (taking the same line).

P.S. If he folds these a lot, time to expand your larcenous hand range.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brunson raise pf with 76s flop comes A 5 4. With only a backdoor flush. He said he would raise then if reraised he would figure his opponent for AK but still push the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has more than a backdoor flush here.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:17 PM

It's probably even more effective at the low mid-stakes (400,600), and in full ring. As long as you have a solid image, and choose the decent weak tight opp. which there are plenty of at these stakes, this is a great move.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:23 PM

I've unsuccessfully tried to get people to lay down AK after calling my raise on a board like this with a hand like this. This is at the 1k level. I would not move in here, they will call. Hit, then break.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:52 PM

I don't know anyone who would lay it down(on that flop).
Old 09-01-2005, 02:05 PM

1. stacks have to be very deep

2. a lot of the time i like to wait until the turn to bomb it all in, ive found people fold tptk more later in the hand than on the flop.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:15 PM

You have to be aware of the stack sizes making a play like this. A lot of people will push as a huge overbet, which is a little shaky and tends to be a little transparant as a semi-bluff UNLESS you also play monster hands like sets this way. If stacks are too small he won't be able to get away from it and you'll have no fold equity. You have to do it when its that middle ground where he's not committed yet but the push is still a reasonable bet.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:27 PM

I have been thinking a lot about these large bets recently. I find that on the 3/6 NL games on PS when a player pushes/overbets the pot it usually means that they have a hand. Rarely have I called down one of these bets (when I have a set, two pair or TPTK) and find that the guy doesn't really have a nuts or close to nuts type hand. I'm not saying people don't make moves, but they usually are not moves at this level. The other point is also true, I have often made big overbets with nuts type hands and get called down by just TP/weak kicker or even less. Certainly TPTK calls. The point is that at these levels I find that a) unless you really have a solid rep and PT stats to back it up, making big bluffs are not profitable and b) calling down big overbets with less than top hands (TPTK does not qualify) is probably not profitable.

Thoughts?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:30 PM

I thought I told you to not screw with Bruce...