Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Backgammon Resources

[ QUOTE ]
snowie is expensive, but fantastic. i tried running it on a mac with virtual pc, but it was too slow. there are new versions of virtual pc out, but i suspect it still won't work properly. a friend who uses macs, bought an older used pc for next to nothing just to run snowie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Death to VPC! There is nothing in this world that angers me more than trying to run that program. It wasn't designed by microsoft; it was forged in the fires of hell by satan on a bad day. I've tried to run three versions of it and each one is successively worse than the one before.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:11 AM

If you are a beginner you may find Robertie difficult. I think Paul Magriels book is excellent for the newbie and even it is challenging but I also think that Robertie is excellent. Also Woolsey has a site called gammononline and he is also tremendous as a teacher as you play against him online daily plus the archives at this site are excellent. He also is an excellent writer and has several books. I recommend reading Magriel, GNU for software, playing a lot and a daily visit to gammononline and then you can probably ask this question again and again as to further reading and study. gammononline has an excellent forum but it is also very advanced. Snowie is great also.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a "bible" for backgammon players?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be Magriel's book.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are a beginner you may find Robertie difficult. I think Paul Magriels book is excellent for the newbie and even it is challenging but I also think that Robertie is excellent. Also Woolsey has a site called gammononline and he is also tremendous as a teacher as you play against him online daily plus the archives at this site are excellent. He also is an excellent writer and has several books. I recommend reading Magriel, GNU for software, playing a lot and a daily visit to gammononline and then you can probably ask this question again and again as to further reading and study. gammononline has an excellent forum but it is also very advanced. Snowie is great also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you provide a link? Whenever I put in gammononline.com I get sent to gammonempire.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:58 PM

bill robertie has written some very clear beginner books. his sit sells much of kit's material, dells and magriel's book too. i think robertie's beginner books are great, and my girlfriend began with those. i also think that while magriels book is impt to read, is is slightly outdated. eventually, you want to make your way to Advanced Backgammon by robertie.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a "bible" for backgammon players?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be Magriel's book.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old but gold! It will teach you the basic concepts, which will apply, no matter how far you work your way up.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:50 PM

Advanced Backgammon Vol 1 and 2 by Robertie
Backammon by Magriel
Old 09-29-2005, 12:04 AM

agreed they are great! add 501 backgammon problems.
however these are all slightly advanced, if your new to bg then start with a robertie beginner book.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:22 AM

also, the snowfish/blowfish programs are decent alternatives to snowie and they are free
Old 09-30-2005, 12:21 AM

true. however, snowie is really a world class opponent, from which you can learn a huge amount. i think it is a bargain.