Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Picking off continuation bets

this is a good thread all around. i might post some hands where i do this with air later.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest improvement i have made in my game is pot-control.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess this is true for me too. I'm thinking about pot control all the time. But it so happens that for me (and at my levels) my favorite way to control pot growth is to try to take it down by force right now. I imagine this is a leak, but honestly, right now I don't see how. I generally give up to resistance, which usually isn't there becasue they don't have the goods. I don't make these moves against the types of players that I think will make me pay for it.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:06 PM

True, player selection is very important when attempting just about anything. BTW-if you're still playing 25 or 50nl you should consider moving up, esp, if you have 10 buyins or more at the next level.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a good thread all around. i might post some hands where i do this with air later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I do.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:10 PM

This an area where Pokertracker plus the GT+/PV/PAHud can really help you make some decisions. I prefer PA Hud myself. But all of them will show you how often the villain folded to a flop bet and a turn bet. This is very good information that has obvious applicability to the situation you are describing.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, player selection is very important when attempting just about anything. BTW-if you're still playing 25 or 50nl you should consider moving up, esp, if you have 10 buyins or more at the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im starting to think this advice should be given here more often. Basically I have about 20000 hands at 25 with a good winrate. I then moved into 25NL 6-max, thought I Was in heaven. Moved up to 50NL 6-max a couple days ago with a 17 buyin bankroll and after a few sessions began kicking myself for not moving up sooner. I plan on moving up to 100NL 6-max as soon as I hit 1000 in my bankroll.

It seems like it would be good for a new NL player to log some serious time at the 25NL and then after that move up as quickly as possible (and drop down if required due to negative variance).

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:18 PM

Actually, I am 1-tabling the 100's now. Thanks for the encouragement, tho.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I am 1-tabling the 100's now. Thanks for the encouragement, tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impressed. I would go crazy bored.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/calling the flop and leading the turn is better than checkraising the flop when pot size management is important. If you checkraise the flop, villain gets 3 opportunities to put more money in (after your c/r, on the turn, and on the river) but by leading the turn after calling the flop, now he only has two (raising your turn bet or betting/raising the river). Furthermore, draws have a lot more equity on the flop than the turn so, if villain has a draw and plays back at us on the flop, we could easily fold the best hand (or end up all-in with only two outs). He's far less likely to play back on the turn when its a brick. At low limits, very few hands worse than hero's will raise the turn so, if he gets raised, its easy to get away. Many worse hands will call, however (TPGK, flush/straight draws).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Ghaz for articulating my reasoning for the post flop play, which I failed miserably to do. The thing about him charging himself is obviously stupid and really not what I meant.

It basically comes down to the fact that if a TAG raises me on the flop it's hard for me to lay down my overpair on this drawish board. But if he calls or rasies the turn bet, I'm almost sure I'm in trouble. I feel like I get much more information for the same money.

I am rethinking the preflop tho. I think I need to RR more in general, as many players at the 200s over-respect the RR preflop, IMO.

Thnaks for all the comments.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ Opening the betting on the turn is only asking for trouble. Are we folding to a min-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against the player I describe, yes. If he raises here with something that I beat, he outplayed me and he gets my money. But I don't think it would happen often.

This turn bet is the last money I put into the pot UI.