Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Commentators

Because you bluffed me off my damn AK with absolutely nothing in that one hand, you will forever be sparky in my book. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(if the K had not been exposed before the flop, I call you down!)
Old 03-29-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because you bluffed me off my damn AK with absolutely nothing in that one hand, you will forever be sparky in my book. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA
Old 03-29-2005, 02:09 AM

Fair enough, Georgia. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sparks <------
Old 03-29-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And David, if you happen too read this, nobody (that I know) calls me Sparkie. Where the heck did that come from? I mean, would YOU want to be called Sparkie? It's Sparks, dude. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Christmas Vacation?!!?!? You have to love the nickname sparkie now! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: 44 and commentators

[ QUOTE ]
Chris, nice playing with you as well.

I do have to say, though, that I'm not sure how much I like your play on that hand. I was actually thinking that when the hand happened. When a tough player raises preflop and then check/calls in a 3way pot on a KQ high board, you might as well put a billboard over your head that says "monster." I'm betting out in that situation close to 100% of the time, regardless of my hole cards. It's basically impossible to completely miss that flop with a legitimate raising hand, unless you've got a lower pocket pair, in which case check/calling the flop is pointless.

Furthermore, if you bet out here, there's a very strong chance it comes back to you raised, and you can make it 3 bets. You've now made at least as much as your line, but your hand only looks like AK, and you get the money in when your hand is basically the nuts, before any weak draws have a chance to peel for a cheap turn.

I don't want to discount the opposition factor in this. I know this hand wasn't played against a particularly tough group, but I still think you got fairly lucky in that both opponents flopped strong hands that they were willing to put bets in along with your set, and you didn't get drawn out by a made hand (a real threat when the flop comes 2 broadway).

A general rule of thumb I find useful is that when a play seems unusual, it's either a monster or trash. Once you show interest on the turn, your hand is clearly defined in the monster category, likely a big set, with an outside chance of top two pair. This read isn't as clear in a headsup situation, but this was a protected pot with 2 players who showed obvious interest; there's no chance you're making a move there (unless you're just spewing).

Anyway, I guess my overall limit holdem philosophy is: Slowplay 77 on K72r = ok. Slowplay QQ on KQ5 = not so much.

Thoughts?
-Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a mistake in my recount of the hand. I was in LP, and threw in a raise PF with it called all the way around. I overcalled the flop bet (instead of raising here) and raised the turn. I think a raise on the flop only gets me 1 bet on the turn and river, *maybe* two if K5 thinks he's against AK and his two pair is good, whereas if I overcall the flop I get two bets on the turn and *probably* a call on the river.

I do agree that the play was relatively ABC and screams monster, and yet I still get paid. Seat 9 required very little imaginative play to profit from.

One of the commentators suggested checkraising the flop then checking the turn (behind) for more action on the river? or something... bizzare strategy.