Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: If John Kerry had been elected we\'d...

You talk about investment and creating jobs, thats creating revenue. Obviously the reason for the tax cuts isn't to increase revenue, but by giving people more money it increases consumption...etc, you know the story.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Well, you guys can jerk each other off repeating what you think you learned on Fox News, but the vast majority of mainstream economists think Bush has done a bad job managing the economy. Link.

You guys are contradicting yourselves anyways. First I give a series of ideas that would make the country better. Fish tells me it'll cost too much and that rolling back the tax cuts won't make any money. I point out the tax cuts aren't generating revenue, and you guys come back and say government shouldn't be concerned with revenue. See the contradiction? Deficits either matter or they don't.

Anyway, is that the only criticism you can give? You'd love to have energy independence, but you don't want to spend the $100 billion it would cost? And they say Democrats don't have ideas...
Old 11-03-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It must be a miracle to you that even with Bush's tax cuts they government is generating more money in tax revenue...

[/ QUOTE ]

From the OMB at whitehouse.gov OMB LINK

Total tax reciepts dropped from just over 2 TRILLION in 2000 (after 1999) to 1.8 Trillion in 2004. Individual tax receipts are down from just over 1 trillion to 808 billion, or a nearly 20% drop over the last four years. Corporate income taxes are down from 207 billion to 190 billion. Total reciepts for 2005 are expected to finally exceed reciepts in 2000, but only because the increased receipts in Social Security taxes. Personal income tax reciepts are estimated to once again exceed 2000's level in 2007, ignoring inflation over those 7 years.

FUNNY, I dont see any increase in tax revenues....
Old 11-03-2005, 12:54 PM

They already know what they want to believe. Don't confuse them with the facts.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:18 PM

To those (few) of you who offered your thoughts, Thank You. Without being specific, some of you made your case, IMO, in a calm, sane manner. That's what I'd hoped to generate. No screaming or name-calling. I honestly wanted to hear honesty.

I'm disappointed there wasn't more "meat." Oh, well, maybe another time.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd love to have energy independence, but you don't want to spend the $100 billion it would cost? And they say Democrats don't have ideas...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure their answer is more correctly defined as "that shouldn't be the government project, it should be a business venture"

Whether that would make sense is a question I'll leave open