Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Poker Club for Charity on Campus (X-Post)

G'morning.

I've been talking with a few classmates of mine and we recently had a discussion about contributing a portion of our monthly winnings to a charity of some sort. The 3-4 of us who talked about this are all fairly successful players ranging from 5/10-30/60. Everyone seems in favor of doing something to give back, so we've been developing a possible student group on campus to expand this idea.

Basically, we would get 5-6 experienced players to teach beginners how to play poker. We would meet 1-2 times a week, spend about 1 hour teaching some new poker concept, then break down into tables to play some cheap .25/.5 limit games and help give people experience. We would flip over cards after every hand and help evaluate the way people played. In return for our services, we would require that they give us 15% of their monthly winnings to donate to charity. Every month we would take a vote among all who donated about which charity to give to. All teachers would also donate the appropriate 15% each month.

Now this idea is still very much in the developmental stages, but I really think it could work. We will be creating an official student group to do this and will be at the start-of-year club fair where we expect to get a solid sign up list of 100-150 people. If we can keep even 10 of those players as regular contributors, then this club can be veyr successful.

What I'm looking for is any advice from people who have started similar clubs, pitfalls to watch out for, or something creative that can make the club even better. Also, perhaps I can inspire someone else to consider this concept on their campus, or to at least contribute some of their own profits to a worthy cause.

Edit/MH:

Please add any responses to main thread in Texas Hold'em Forum. Thank you.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Poker Club for Charity on Campus (X-Post)

[ QUOTE ]
G'morning.

I've been talking with a few classmates of mine and we recently had a discussion about contributing a portion of our monthly winnings to a charity of some sort. The 3-4 of us who talked about this are all fairly successful players ranging from 5/10-30/60. Everyone seems in favor of doing something to give back, so we've been developing a possible student group on campus to expand this idea.

Basically, we would get 5-6 experienced players to teach beginners how to play poker. We would meet 1-2 times a week, spend about 1 hour teaching some new poker concept, then break down into tables to play some cheap .25/.5 limit games and help give people experience. We would flip over cards after every hand and help evaluate the way people played. In return for our services, we would require that they give us 15% of their monthly winnings to donate to charity. Every month we would take a vote among all who donated about which charity to give to. All teachers would also donate the appropriate 15% each month.

Now this idea is still very much in the developmental stages, but I really think it could work. We will be creating an official student group to do this and will be at the start-of-year club fair where we expect to get a solid sign up list of 100-150 people. If we can keep even 10 of those players as regular contributors, then this club can be veyr successful.

What I'm looking for is any advice from people who have started similar clubs, pitfalls to watch out for, or something creative that can make the club even better. Also, perhaps I can inspire someone else to consider this concept on their campus, or to at least contribute some of their own profits to a worthy cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that a club that sponsors illegal activities is going to fly at most Universities. Thus, make sure that online gambling is legal in your state. While there are several poker clubs at colleges nationwide, that is because these games do not involve the house taking a rake. It is typically a group of guys that get together to have games, which are of course, legal in virtually all states. Just my two cents.

Otherwise, it sounds like a cool idea. BTW, what university?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:32 PM

I applaud you for your interest in giving back with your winnings.. but I find it hard to believe you'll find a lot interest outside your circle of friends. Sure lots of people at a college campus would love to learn to play poker better, but who wants to "give away" 15% of their profits.

Anyhow, much luck to you. Maybe Barry Greenstein will sign up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
G'morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that a club that sponsors illegal activities is going to fly at most Universities. Thus, make sure that online gambling is legal in your state. While there are several poker clubs at colleges nationwide, that is because these games do not involve the house taking a rake. It is typically a group of guys that get together to have games, which are of course, legal in virtually all states. Just my two cents.

Otherwise, it sounds like a cool idea. BTW, what university?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought regarding legality is that the group itself would only be a theoretical group. We'd discuss issues like game theory and probability and simulate using poker. It is each own players choice and responsibility if they decide to play outside of the group for money. Regardless of how they play or make money though, they are required to contribute from their winnings. Sounds kinda sketchy, I know. However, it might be enough to seperate us from legality issues. And the school in question is Princeton.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:45 PM

this is a very laudable idea. the 15%-per-month contribution-from-students will be tricky though, with a lot of the same difficulties as staking. it depends on honorable self-reporting and accurate record-keeping, which may or may not happen. also, if someone has a downswing, do they get a refund?

it might be easier to provide lessons for a flat fee and contribute those to charity.

of course, for the teachers to give out of their own winnings is an excellent idea also.
Closed Thread