Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Alright, who tried to sexy me?

Villain is a solid and smart TAG who is likely a 2+2er from many of the moves he made. Rest of the table was especially passive and decently loose. This is the second time he's 3bet my blind steal in about 5-6 orbits. The first time never made it past the turn on a ragged low board when I folded.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Someone want to step forward on the sexy attempt? The real reason I'm posting though is to determine whether there's any value to this river bet. I'd get value from any K, J, QQ, and maybe TT. His 3betting standards seem to be a bit loose from the few hands I've played, so perhaps his range could extend to something like JT/QJ. Also, a typical 2+2er would probably bet a paired K for value since he's calling a bet anyway and could win vs. a J.

The fold to the c/r is pretty standard, but should I have just checked through?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Alright, who tried to sexy me?

If he is actually a smart TAG, you're right that the river bet probably isn't worth it. I can't think of any hands hero could have played well if he check-called the river. Once you call the turn, he has to put you on an ace, jack, or QT, KT, or KQ of spades. Once a king hits on the river, even your draws hit something. So villain should really just be betting out with his marginal hands hoping you call with a pair of kings or jacks if he beats that, or check-folding if he can't.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:47 AM

thanks for this post. against most opponents it's such an easy river bet i never considered that it might be wrong in some situations. but it is hard to imagine what he's check-calling w/ if he value bets like most good players would.

still-- don't out-sexy yourself and not make this bet the great majority of the time. even pretty good players check-call rivers they should often bet IMO.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The fold to the c/r is pretty standard, but should I have just checked through?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is an easy bet and an easy fold. If he tries to sexy you too much he will inevitably miss alot of bets. He could easily take this line with a pocket pair or a King that he wants to show down but is afraid of being raised with. If he thinks you are a threat to wait until the river to raise with a big Ace or better, then he may even check here with a small Ace--especially if he thinks you would bet a J but not call with one.

Cartman
Old 09-22-2005, 03:21 AM

I don't like this river bet. What hand could he 3 bet pf and call w/after the K hits that you're still ahead of? Maybe he makes a crying call w/QQ or TT but aside from that your behind on the river when he calls. I think you can check this through