Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: I really like my thought process here - AA vs. weak-tight BB

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar - your response to me or OP?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP
Old 09-06-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap PF. He likes his hand, he is going to pay. Remember, tricky plays are best left at the B&M 40/80 or higher stakes games, not at low limit online games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree here. If villains read is that this player is tight, but weak-tight, he'll often make 2-4 SB worth of mistakes postflop by us not capping preflop. If we cap preflop and lead, he may not raise JJ figuring us to be on AK/AA/KK/QQ/JJ/TT. If he's a known weak-tightie he almost certainly wont raise.

Now if we do not cap preflop, or flop c/r looks like it comes from the board - our most obvious holding being a T. Now he 3bets his JJ and we can either cap or wait to raise the turn.

4betting narrows our range to the point where a thinking player (even if he's not that good) will make better decisions. If he was a LAG I say cap away because he's going multiple bets on multiple streets anyway if he's got JJ-KK.

Surf
Old 09-06-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cap PF. He likes his hand, he is going to pay. Remember, tricky plays are best left at the B&M 40/80 or higher stakes games, not at low limit online games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree here. If villains read is that this player is tight, but weak-tight, he'll often make 2-4 SB worth of mistakes postflop by us not capping preflop. If we cap preflop and lead, he may not raise JJ figuring us to be on AK/AA/KK/QQ/JJ/TT. If he's a known weak-tightie he almost certainly wont raise.

Now if we do not cap preflop, or flop c/r looks like it comes from the board - our most obvious holding being a T. Now he 3bets his JJ and we can either cap or wait to raise the turn.

4betting narrows our range to the point where a thinking player (even if he's not that good) will make better decisions. If he was a LAG I say cap away because he's going multiple bets on multiple streets anyway if he's got JJ-KK.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

we cant lead or c/r in this hand as we have position
Old 09-06-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a bit interested in this. I quite often just call a 3-bet with AA if it is heads up. If there is a 3rd player in I always cap. I´m worrying that a cap narrows my possible holdings down too much for a thinking opponent. Of course if I often capped even medium pairs or hands like KQs/AQs that might not be the case but I usually do not...

I just think this deception might be worth 80% of a small bet or whatever the preflop cost might be... and I just do it with AA not slightly weaker hands like KK-JJ or AK, those get capped.

Do most of the good players here almost always cap AA headsup preflop?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:03 PM

I'd play the flop the same, but raise the turn.

Seems to me there are still a fair number of hands that you both beat, but that he won't fold. Just because you don't think he's playing back at you, doesn't mean that he's got trips now.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Looking back raising turn might be the better move, and being worried about a set might be playing scared. I think it is very close though as there might be a few hands he will then fold that he would have bet river with and if he does have the set there will be a 3-bet that we have to call...
Old 09-06-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

we cant lead or c/r in this hand as we have position

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh! Please insert "bet" instead of "lead" and "raise" instead of "c/r" in my previous post as my reading comprehension seems negligible.

Surf
Old 09-06-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to raise the turn. This is where not capping PF gets you. Now you need to raise. Don't worry, no one folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd raise the turn, especially after the pf underplay. That's why we underplayed pf anyway right... to get extra action later, right? Here is the extra action, come and get it.