Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: The Crusades

[ QUOTE ]
Yea nicky, it really pays to keep an open mind so that you can distinguish between different forms of violence and the nuances of differing forms of dictatorship. That way you don't discriminate against forms of violence and those dictatorships that you have sympathy with or are just too cowardly to confront.

How noble and sophisticated of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not a question of not confronting or having sympathy with forms of violence or repressive violence. But l;umping them altogether is absurd; I'd much rather live under some tinpot dictatorship that leaves you alone if you mind your own business than Stalinist Russia for example. I'd rather live in Egypt now than in Cambodia under Pol Pot. And I see a distinction between shooting someone for money and blowing up a cafe for political motives, despite the fact that both are wrong. Lumping them all in together is ridiculous.

I'll come back to your Quranic excerpts tonight or tomorrow; but let me quickly say firstly that context matters, and secondly that noone, not even MMMMMM [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], believes that Islam or the Qur'an demand that everyone convert to Islam or be killed as you suggest.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll come back to your Quranic excerpts tonight or tomorrow; but let me quickly say firstly that context matters, and secondly that noone, not even MMMMMM , believes that Islam or the Qur'an demand that everyone convert to Islam or be killed as you suggest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, because the third choice for infidels (other than conversion of death), is to accept humiliating second-class legal status under Islam as dhimmis and to pay the (extortionate) special poll tax.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:06 PM

I love how MM claims to have "read the Koran."

What a tool. I didn't know he read Arabic, but I love his "absolutist" "fascist" positions he so circularly maintains.

Total [censored] tool.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll come back to your Quranic excerpts tonight or tomorrow; but let me quickly say firstly that context matters

[/ QUOTE ]

Always trying to find a way out of the plain meaning of the words aren't you? And like MMMMMM posted above and I commented on, the standard is not how you interpret it, but how Moslems do and act on it.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll come back to your Quranic excerpts tonight or tomorrow; but let me quickly say firstly that context matters

[/ QUOTE ]

Always trying to find a way out of the plain meaning of the words aren't you? And like MMMMMM posted above and I commented on, the standard is not how you interpret it, but how Moslems do and act on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, most Muslims are moderate enough to not really follow the Koran in its entirety (thankfully). However, the religious authorities of Islam generally take views that we would call "extreme." That's because the Koran itself contains prescriptions for thought and action which we would call "extreme."