Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 02:41 AM

Default what to do with AA in this situation

OK, Button is 42%vpip, 9%pfr over 43 hands.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($42.95)
BB ($33.80)
Hero ($50)
MP ($15.70)
Button ($21.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1.75, SB calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($5.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $18.5</font>, SB folds, Hero ???

I realize that the preflop riase on my part wasn't enough... I should have made it $2.50-$3.
aside from that what would you do? or lets pretend i did raise it to $3 which I do 80% of the time with AA. Assuming i made it $3, what now...
Old 12-16-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: what to do with AA in this situation

raise 4xbb preflop first-in so to $2. based on those stats and without a specific read, probably fold here
Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 AM

Make it $2.50 pre-flop, easy fold on the flop.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:14 AM

is it an easy fold on the flop because he has "decent" stats or because of the board or both ? At UB, i've seen people do this with AQ, QK far too often...
Old 12-16-2005, 03:39 AM

yeah, i don't think this is exactly an easy fold either..but i would probably fold it
Old 12-16-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is it an easy fold on the flop because he has "decent" stats or because of the board or both ? At UB, i've seen people do this with AQ, QK far too often...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well kind of a combination of both. There just aren't a lot of hands that play this way that you're ahead of here. With the paired board, I think that all too often, players get passive with anything less than trips.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:16 AM

I dont mind a check on this flop
Old 12-16-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont mind a check on this flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. It's possible that hero still has the best hand, and a bet/fold finds that out much more easily than check/call, and check/fold just seems too weak.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:07 AM

I would more then likely call this. Such a big bet seems to me like pair of queens with a high kicker. And you can reavaluate on the turn...This is just what i would do by no means am i an expert...8)
Old 12-16-2005, 05:45 AM

This is a really tough call because a number of things go into your decision. You have to take into account his previous actions and what he has done with big hands before and if he plays position. From what I've seen, most micro limit players will slowplay a big hand off the flop and then bet heavy on the turn or river. His past actions would probably be my biggest determining factor. Because of the size of his raise he is almost all in and you don't have to worry about putting too much more in on later betting rounds. If he seemed to be a typical microlimit player and I felt I was pretty certain he would slowplay off the flop, I would probably just go ahead and put him all in for the rest of his money. (A call is useless here because he will almost always go all in on the turn and then you have to call.) However if I had any uncertainty about this player at all, I would lay it down.