Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Getting a Read With Position

Thought this was interesting. 50-100 hand online. I have AA in LP. Unknown limper, I raise and we see the flop headsup. Flop is 10-10-x, no suits. He checks, I bet and he calls quickly. Turn is the 6. Check, bet, call. River: X. Check, bet, call.

Default would usually be to check the turn behind (though not always). With him check-calling ragged flop, he either has a 10 or a hand with 2 or no outs. So the check doesn't hurt. But when he called quickly on the flop, he's much less likely to have a payoff hand than a 10. If he had a 10, why would he want me to worry about a 10? There would be at least a slight pause. Possibly little content, but I found it interesting.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Getting a Read With Position

Yeah, I think there is a lot to this hand Jeff. I really like the way you played it and the reasoning behind it. I appreciate your infinite wisdom [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Have fun this weekend [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 07:07 PM

Default RESULTS

Ok, not that interesting. Villian had 55 and I won.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2005, 07:41 PM

My default is to bet the turn, hoping to induce bluff check raise.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:51 PM

Your default is to check the turn (sometimes, not). Ive never played that high, but I would never think of checking the turn there, even though I understand your reasoning....could you go in depth a little more on the why/the process/reads that go into the thinking behind your turn check?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:14 PM

I think your default is expensive against most players. If you have one marked as loose aggressive, this might be the best way to play it.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your default is expensive against most players. If you have one marked as loose aggressive, this might be the best way to play it.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

K, thanks, I think I am having trouble transitioning from the lower games 5/10 (some extent 10/20), in that I guess I should be assuming that most players are not horrific.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:18 PM

So if you cehck the turn do you just call a river bet?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:20 PM

By checking: You save yourself money when he has trips (very possible on this board). Note that if the pair card was a deuce or a 4, etc, I would never check. Many opponents will limp with a 10. When they check-call this ragged 10-10-x flop, a ten becomes a good possibility. Or they are peeling with a hand like QJ to see what you do on the turn (in which case they will fold turn if they miss unless they are prone to bluff-checkraising if they believe u have missed). Or they have something like small pockets which is little threat to you.

Basically, if they have nothing you may induce a bluff or get called by ace high on the river when that same player would have layed down to a turn bet. If they have a 10, you avoid getting raised. If they have something like 55, they may have called a turn bet or not, but even with the free card they have little chance to outdraw you. There are lots of factors to consider.

In this case, the tempo of my opponent's bet told me he wanted me to be scared which he wouldnt if he really had trips. So I knew he had a calling hand.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if you cehck the turn do you just call a river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant tell if you're advocating raising or folding instead, but i think both are bad. of course, im wrong a lot recently. so maybe you're right.