Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 05:50 AM

Default working on your short hand game

I have only played 10 handed poker and I am looking at getting into playing some shorthanded. I was wondering if anyone had any advice of how I could practice. Obviously playing is the best practice, but what else could I do to learn. Are there any starting hand chart for begginners anywhere? Are there any good books out there on short hand play? I am playing at 2-4 and 3-6 limits right now but will probably move up to 5-10 shortly. This is the range that I want to beable to play shorthand in.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:05 AM

Default Re: working on your short hand game

No offense intended, but players who are still thinking in terms of hand charts will not be very successful short handed players. As far as books you can take a lot of the advice in SSHE or HEPFAP and you just assume that the first 4 people have folded. That is a very rough start. The best way to learn is to head over to the HUSH forum and start playing on party's lowest 6 max table.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:24 AM

That is what I have been doing preflop always assuming I am in middle or late position and going from there. I was just wondering if there was a better way to go about it. Maybe a more precise method.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is what I have been doing preflop always assuming I am in middle or late position and going from there. I was just wondering if there was a better way to go about it. Maybe a more precise method.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start browsing the HUSH forum. You will not find better games than party 1/2 6max but you can experiment with the changes to your game and accustom yourself to shorthanded play for smaller stakes at other site. Pokerstars for example has .5/1 6max.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:10 AM

There have been a couple of charts floating around in the HUSH forum, this one for instance. Might be a good while you get your feet wet and it will also give you an idea of what any 20%-25% VP$IP 15% PFR players you run into are coming in with.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:37 AM

You could also seek short-handed tables at your current limit, and practice there for a while. Most full ring players at 2/4 and 3/6 don't know how to adjust to short-handed play, so this be easier than playing a regular 3/6 6 max at Stars for example.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:28 PM

Read Miller's article in this month's magazine.