Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Hurray for Kansas. A victory for liberals!

I applaud the Kansas school board and I fully support their actions. All progressives who advocate public control of schooling should also be very supportive of the Kansas school board.

After all, they are simply doing exactly what they've watched smug leftists do for decades: Ignore the concerns of vast numbers of parents who have little or no choice about putting their children into a curriculum they find objectionable.

Now we see that Kansas has turned the tables and directed schools to do something the liberals (generally) find objectionable. And oh the howls of dismay! It's music to my ears. How does it feel now you smarmy self-satisfied advocates for state-run schooling? It doesn't seem like such a good idea now that the Kansas system has, through perfectly democratic means, gone in a direction you find objectionable. The contempt you have long shown for parents who object to your agenda in school is now turned on you! You whining extremists! Don't complain about schools teaching your children objectionable material, it is the will of the people! And don't whine to me about your voice not being heard. If you don't like it, vote for a new school board! HAHAHAHAHAHA

I think it's wonderful. It warms my heart.

Even better, only the rich will be able to escape the substandard education that Kansas provides as a near-monopoly to its citizens. While the poor and middle class kids are trapped in this substandard system, only those with resources will be able to ensure their child achieves a decent education. The rest will have to sit there and take it, just like they've always had to. Only now they're taking in a way the leftists don't like, so it's not ok anymore.

Here's a hint for you morans: The process is the flaw, not the current outcome.

The irony is that because of the liberals' hysterical fear that a small minority of children might learn about GOD at a religious private school under a voucher system, the entire state's poor population is now coerced with lessons about GOD sequencing genomes (or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or whatever). If liberals who constantly scream about choice had actually valued, you know, choice, and freedom, and if they actually respected indiviuals' decisions, they wouldn't be in this mess. All the educated parents would quietly, calmly, quickly, (and easily) just transfer their child to a new school they feel more comfortable about. Yeah, that would be a terrible thing. Only scumbag nazi republicans would dare to suggest such a system.

Parents rejoice! At least your child is being educated and acculturated with mainstream values, just like the leftists always wanted.

natedogg
Old 11-10-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Hurray for Kansas. A victory for liberals!

Your post isn't too bad, but you do realize that Kansas has done this before, right? I only ask because it seems from the tone of your post that you think this is the first instance of Kansas doing this.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To put it in terms most people here would understand, moaning that "polititian XYZ is ruining America, we must elect people from party ABC that think like *I* do" is like saying "my bankroll is getting destroyed because the wheel keeps landing on red, if only it would land on black like I want it to, everything would be hunky-dory."

People keep recognizing that democracy is flawed, but then say "it's better than anything else." That doesn't speak well of democracy, it just speaks ill of the other systems of government. You don't merely resign yourself to using the "least bad" roulette system, you DON'T PLAY in the first place.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:38 AM

Are you advocating a dictatorship?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:44 AM

I will agree with you completely on one point, that the state of the public school system in America is in miserable shape and there need to be measures in place to ensure that children get a better eduacation.

However, to say that a voucher system is the way to do so, I feel, is wrong, simply because I don't know of any decent private schools in America that can't fill their classrooms with students, so naturally, they are turning students away as it is, and I don't think that simply making it an issue of money is suddenly going to change the situation (especially because many schools already offer scholarships and financial aid packages to help those students who have trouble paying for their education). As far as I can tell, it would simply add to further neglect of public school students because they would receive even less funding and be seen as the ones too stupid to get into a private school.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you advocating a dictatorship?

[/ QUOTE ]

He said "don't play in the first place" in his roulette analogy. Thus, a stateless system... the complete opposite of a dictatorship.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:08 AM

You don't read this forum much, do you?

That or my sarcasm detector is broken?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Dorothy in Kansas

It is gratifying to witness neo-cons regress to paroxysms of indignation and advocate a return to Neanderthal values. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't like it, vote for a new school board! HAHAHAHAHAHA

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are you laughing?

That is (always) the right thing to do.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, here is a hint for you: The process is fine (more or less -- nothing is perfect). The outcome merely (but significantly) reflects the opinions of the people who voted for the Kansas Education Board.

Or of the people who voted those who appointed members to the Kansas Education Board. Either way, the decision to teach Intelligent Design is a bad decision, born out of prejudice and ignorance, but it is a democratic decision!

I would not want a monarch or some higher authority (i.e. Buddah, Allah) deciding what we tea<ch our children. Better we decide what we teach out children -- and sometimes, yes, we will get it spectacularly wrong.

Your stance betrays a disdain for democracy. And for those who believe in it. You think because a vote went against my beliefs, as it happens, that I would turn against voting itself?

[ QUOTE ]
Parents rejoice! At least your child is being educated and acculturated with mainstream values, just like the leftists always wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, the "leftists" never wanted "mainstream" to be the ultimate criterion of what is taught in school. The people with whom I agree politically do not want "mainstream" stuffed down children's throats. We'd rather have the children be taught what science, common sense and History have to say -- and, although it may susprise you to know, what science, common sense and History have to say is NOT always of "mainstream"!

Really, I can't wait for Astrology to be taught in American schools next! Now, there's mainstream for ya!... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 04:30 AM

I find it greatly disturbing what happened in Kansas.

I find it disturbing that this vast intellectual pool of knowledge that has sustained our great country and provided such great thinkers and minds to our Science community is now tainted by superstitious teachings that even the Old Testament Rabbi's who copied the words didn't take literally.

Oh wait...Kansas? - Home of shucking corn and football - sheeeit...who cares what they think - if they wanna make their kids dumber, [censored] em - less competition for those of us with real educations.

If they believe that their kids, esp. the ones who want to pursue degress in science and biology will be able to "Intelligent Design" their way into the mainstream jobs and media without something like an affirmative action for people too uneducated to perform their jobs, they're sadly mistaken - they're gonna wanna work on that next"

I can hear it now "Our Kids are stupid - they have been repressed with ignorance, and now they need govt. programs to ensure they can get jobs in their chosen fields because it's not their fault they're so dumb."

When the 4 or 5 kids who go to College in Kansas for something besides football go to those science classes, and write their ID papers that get F's from professors for their blatent endorsement of the Spaghetti God who built the universe out of pasta and can't be disproved, they'll want special teachers for that too - but surprisingly, it'll be a bit harder for the ENTIRE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY to be forced to bend to their will.

I feel real bad saying this, but anything that makes these kids dumber only makes me look better and makes them less likely to take my job as I get older. It is too bad for the kids - too bad their parents are so stupid - but I can't do anything about it - I don't see the victory for conservatives that they're grousing about, however.

RB
Old 11-10-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh wait...Kansas? - Home of shucking corn and football -

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually Nebraska.

[ QUOTE ]

When the 4 or 5 kids who go to College in Kansas for something besides football

[/ QUOTE ]

:rolls eyes:

Before you start trashing things, try to make sure you know what you're talking about. In my opinion, KU is a pretty good school. I know many very intelligent people who have gone there at some point in their college lives, and not one of them went there to play sports.

I understand it's easier for some of you guys to imagine that we are all hicks in overalls on some farm, but that's just not reality.