Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Dealers most liked and generosity report

OK, we've all seen the "most hated" thread. Who's the dealers "most liked and generous" of the top pros? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Dealers most liked and generosity report

[ QUOTE ]
OK, we've all seen the "most hated" thread. Who's the dealers "most liked and generous" of the top pros? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

In no specific order.

Daniel Negraneu(sp?): NEVER EVER I have seen him give any dealer a hard time. He's always been respectful to me. He will almost always throw a buck or 2 when he wins a pot. No matter how stuck he is or how small the pot.

Barry Greenstein: Only once had I seen him get a little outwardly irritated. And it wasnt even a good display of such. Nor was it directed towards me as a dealer. He doesnt toke very often in live games. But he isnt a total stiff. And when he does, it's usually a redbird.

Gus Hansen: Again, never been given a hard time by him. Nor heard any other dealers being given a hard time. In fact he tries to be helpful. Such as pushing other players mucked hands within easier reach, Helping push players chips closer to the pot. (naturally very openhanded clearly not palming) etc. Almost always hands me $5-10 when I leave. No matter how much he may have lost that 1/2 hour.

David Benjamien(sp?): Frenchman that plays the big game. He's only got in my shizzle one time. And he totally misunderstood what had happened as he was distracted. He totally apologized. Tokes $1-5 about 60% of his pots he wins. Somtimes hands me an extra redbird when I leave.

Amir Vahedi: For some dealers he probably should'nt be on this list for "generosity". But for me, he's always decent, we always say hello, to each others with a pat on the back and such. Never gives me a hard time in the box.

David "Devilfish" Ulliot: Whenever he sees me sit in a PLO game we say hi and he gives me a wink. As soon as he gets involved in a hand, on the flop he will ALWAYS ask me "dealer, whats the pot" I tell him then he says "count it down". I've always been right on the money and he gives me that "wink" again. Often throws me a redbird by then.

Phil Ivey: Generally doesnt give dealers a hard time. But I recently commented (with another dealer) he is very slowly turning. I doubt he'll become a jerk. It just seems like a slight change after being around so many a-holes for a while now. Hopefully he'll see it and not "turn". As for generosity, he's ok. Used to be consistent but nowadays spends so much time talking in the game and watching out for "props", that he often gives dealers an airball. Like he is distracted. If he remembers he's a "redbird".

For many dealers it isnt just about how much they toke. It's not being a jerk. Not distracting dealers causing further problems or errors. Not winging cards at them. Calling them "Fuucking dealer" when a bad river card hits. Etc. Now dont get me wrong, we dont want an airball for that 1/2 hr. But we'd rather get air than a hard time. I think mostly because many of us would rather jump right back in thier shizzle when they do and humiliate them. However, that would only costs us our jobs, and we know it. So we'd rather them just stfu and give us air. Than to give us a hard time and air or even a hard time an $5.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:16 PM

So the moral of the story is be quiet and nice to a dealer and you do not have to tip???? Interesting.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the moral of the story is be quiet and nice to a dealer and you do not have to tip???? Interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading comprehension at its finest.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The moral is be quiet, nice, and leave reasonable tips.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:21 PM

Default The other side of the coin

Hi Fishhead, You sound like a great dealer, and one I think every player would love to have in the box. However, just like their are knuckleheads playing, their are knuckleheads dealing. Here are some of the things that dealers can do to ensure maximum earnings:

1) Pay attention. Mistakes happen, but dealers that can't follow the action because their watching TV or involved in conversation make way too many mistakes.

2) Regard the players as your boss. In effect, they are your boss as they are responsible for probably 75% of your paycheck. (i'm purely guessing at that percent, but you get the idea.)

3) Regular players will tip you more in the long run than the live ones that play for fun once a month. As a matter of fact, in the short run, we hope to make our immediate big bucks from the same players as you.

4)Be grateful of any amount you get tipped. Some old timers tip a quarter because they think it's a fair amount. I cringe when a dealer tells a well meaning old man to keep his quarter. It's like telling your dear old granny to stick her $5 birthday check to you up her pooper. Just wrong on so many levels.

4) Different players have diiferent quirks and personalities. Nice or not, stiffs or tippers, this should not affect how a game is dealt even one iota. You can't control how you feel, but you can control how you act.

5) Just be nice, get the cards out, be quick but accurate, be grateful, and above all, act like a professional.

These are just some thoughts, but I think dealers need to understand that there is a basic quality of service that comes with the expectation of a tip.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: The other side of the coin

[ QUOTE ]
However, just like their are knuckleheads playing, their are knuckleheads dealing.

Knuckleheads..boy aint that the truth. Seen plenty of them in the business and it's one of the reasons so many of you have a poor or pooer view of dealers.

1) Pay attention. Mistakes happen

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to interject something right in the middle of your sentence. It's about How mistakes happen in this regard. I'm speaking from my experience when I make them and seeing other dealers make them as such too.

Dealer sits in the box, is getting first hand out, while at the same time eyeballing his rack to see that it correct or at least close to correct, useing his peripheral vision to keep track of action, and some dummy who has mucked says "I want the 2 or 8 seat if the open. And give that guy that aint here a "no player button". Oh and he mucked 3 players out of turn. AND HE"S A REGULAR!...

Yes many times mistakes are caused by stupid distractions by players not even involved. The one I love/hate the most is during the hand a player wants you to square up the table. And the sob wants it square now! I have beguna telling them very plainly and sternly if I need to, "After the hand" Usually because 1, 2, or more of those needing to move are in fact involved with the hand in play. Out of respect THEY dont need the distractions either.

So not just from some dummy watching MNF do mistakes happen, but also as a result of players not giving respect to the table and distracting these dealers during action with stupid or non-imperitive requests or nonsense.

Sometimes players need to just stfu too and let the dealer do his/her job. Ask'em during the shuffle next hand. I'm sure they'll be happy to oblige.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:11 PM

I'm not talking about mistakes caused by players distracting the dealers. I'm talking about dealers not paying attention because they get involved in conversation, watch TV, look at their watch, etc.

Do dealers that consistantly make errors due to a poor work ethic deserve to be tipped the same as their better performing counter parts?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:17 PM

I know what you were talking about. I was just bringing up something that I have never heard or seen acknowledged here or live in my years in the business.

I think maybe you took it the wrong way. I did mention "knuckleheads" too afterall.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what you were talking about. I was just bringing up something that I have never heard or seen acknowledged here or live in my years in the business.

I think maybe you took it the wrong way. I did mention "knuckleheads" too afterall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't take it wrong. Your no doubt in the top percentile of dealers with professionalism. I just think it's important for dealers to understand that there is a level of service that's expected. Keep up the good work!