Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Wilson software

I have taken a bit of a battering in some recent Stud 8 games and decided to engage in a bit of a tune-up to fix any errors in my game.

I came across an offering by Wilson softare, Turbo Stud 8. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

I downloaded a demo and the interface is still horrible (I tried their hold'em version years ago), but what amazed me most was their 'adviser'. The following was one of their demo hands:

I was dealt 238 (3 suited) with the 2 showing for the bring-in. A 6 completed the bet and an Ace called. I assumed fold, but decided to check the adviser, which I was amazed to see reccommended a call!
Have I been playing too tightly all along, or is this a load of you-know-what?

Any general comments on the software?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Wilson software

[ QUOTE ]
I have taken a bit of a battering in some recent Stud 8 games and decided to engage in a bit of a tune-up to fix any errors in my game.

I came across an offering by Wilson softare, Turbo Stud 8. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

I downloaded a demo and the interface is still horrible (I tried their hold'em version years ago), but what amazed me most was their 'adviser'. The following was one of their demo hands:

I was dealt 238 (3 suited) with the 2 showing for the bring-in. A 6 completed the bet and an Ace called. I assumed fold, but decided to check the adviser, which I was amazed to see reccommended a call!
Have I been playing too tightly all along, or is this a load of you-know-what?

Any general comments on the software?

[/ QUOTE ]

No experience with the Stud 8 software, but I have both the Omaha 8b and Hold'em versions. I always felt the O8b advisor was a little too loose.

But in your example, I would definitely call with 3 suited low cards there.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:08 PM

sorry pipes

didn't make that clear - I meant three different suits

I'd definitely call with three cards of the same suit.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:10 PM

3 different suits this is definitely a fold unless maybe you're in some crazy structured game.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:42 PM

Yeah that sounds a little loose, but its not surprising. The Omaha software is the same way.

But I think their software is still valuable though. Much better than playing free games or micro limits and Stud8b is a game where you can find yourself in many different kinds of situations. Allows you to gain valuable experience w/o losing your shirt.

I'm sure it also calculates useful odds.

I was probably going to order this for myself and play it at work on my lunch breaks.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:31 AM

Though the advisor is wrong in this instance, I find the wilson software to be a great training aid.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:06 PM

I own both the stud and stud 8/b version of wilson software. I've found that its best use is calculating odds of different hands winning in a showdown. It's also a great tool when you want to learn a new game (in my case stud 8/b), but don't want to play insanely structured low limits, or lose a lot playing higher limits.

If you are a serious player I'd recommend buying it. If you are a recreational player and only play 5-10 hours a week it might not be worth it.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:26 PM

I own it and agree that the percentages it deals with are right on. However, the advisor is way loose.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the help guys

I presume it is possible to customise the advisors, or to run trial strategies against 'typical' opponents?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:55 PM

Yes you can run trials against particular opponents. I really liked that feature.