Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 PM

Default AQo - First hand at Table

This is my very first hand at the table - PokerRoom $2/4 5max. The PokerRoom lobby said the average pot was about $18 and 60% of players to the flop, for whatever that's worth. I'm just wondering if this line is normal, or a bit aggressive against unkowns. Basically - does anyone slow down to the flop raise when there's a potential flush draw?

-Sorry for the format, I input it myself.
Hero is delt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in BB

UTG Calls $2, 2 folds, SB calls $1, Hero (BB) Raises $2, UTG calls, SB folds

FLOP: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5SB)

Hero Bets, UTG Raises, Hero Reraises, UTG Calls

TURN: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.5BB)

Hero Bets, UTG calls

RIVER: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.5BB)
Hero bets, UTG calls
Final pot: 9.5BB less rake

Anyone play it differently?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: AQo - First hand at Table

I play it the same.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:59 PM

I check/call the river.
my reasoning is that the board is scary enough that you can't really call a raise on the river, but since its the first hand if you fold it on the river they might try to push you around in the following hands.

If you check you induce a bluff from a busted flush draw, and get to see their hand if they have you beat.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check/call the river.
If you check you induce a bluff from a busted flush draw, and get to see their hand if they have you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, as I was typing the hand in I realized that would have been a better move on the river.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:10 AM

If you thought about the check/call on the river you're in the right direction. I like the play of the hand but I've got a bad feeling that he raised you on the flop. You're either dominating with KQ or he flopped top two with QJ. I don't think you have to worry about the straight as he just called down and didn't raise you on the turn.

Pretty standard except the river, actually even with that river play, seems like you did pretty well.

JMB
Old 11-12-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I check/call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, as I was typing the hand in I realized that would have been a better move on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

He will check behind with his J, 8, or Q every single time if you check, but he'll call very often with them if you bet the river.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:13 AM

Thanks for the inputs.

For what it's worth, villian had probably the most passively played pocket Jacks I've ever seen.

I think without the flush draw on the flop, the flop raise might have meant more. Regardless, I think I still would have needed to see a river.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:35 AM

I think I would have prefered a check call on the river. I would think that most of hand combinations that UTG has that call your river bet beat you. There are a lot of combo's that have probably made two pair by now. The only one I can think of that do call a bet on the river that you beat is KQ. for He will fold his busted flush if you bet but you could get a bet out of him if he does have a busted flush by inducing a bluff.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:37 AM

Flopped set, that's rough. Too bad you couldn't make him lay it down with four to the straight on the board.

JMB