Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Weezer and Green Day are the defining bands of my generation...

[ QUOTE ]
I would say Nirvana and Pearl Jam defined the early nineties, along with some hip hop groups that warrant mention but I don't know rap well enough to confirm.

These days it's Green Day (sigh), U2, and Eminem. Nods also to Coldplay, Radiohead, and Primus [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we should discuss what "defining a generation" is. To me, it's bands who's sound gets copied and becomes ubiquitous. Most of the songs on the radio sound like this band. They "defined" the sound that is popular. It doesn't mean that they were the most popular necessarily. This is not a discussion of the "most popular" bands.

Nirvana and Pearl Jam, yes. After those two, how many freaking grunge bands were there?

Green Day and Weezer? Green Day most definitely. Listen to the radio. Look at teenagers these days. You think that any of the music would sound like it does? You think "punk" (aka mall-punk) would have made it mainstream without Green Day?

Weezer... Meh, not as much as Green Day, but I still think that they're not done influencing the pop music landscape. Their sound from Blue Album/Pinkerton is just now hitting the pop airwaves. It takes awhile. I think 5 more years and Weezer's contribution will become much more evident. I also think they'll release another GREAT album before all is said and done, just as Green Day did after a couple of mis-steps. And I don't know why no one has mentioned Kerplunk, that album is so much better than Dookie.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:04 PM

Good post.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:17 PM

Green Day are a derivative band. Basically watered down NOFX, Pennywise, and the Clash.

Weezer has a great sound, but so did a ton of "college/geek rock " bands of the time.

So I am a little uneasy labeling either of these bands as defining.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:35 PM

No love for Rage against the Machine as one of the defining bands of our generation. For shame.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:36 PM

I think the underlying concept here is that defining != best. Not that I'd put RATM anywhere near the top of my list of either, anyway.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And what exactly sucks about it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dookie was a great album and then they rereleased it under different names every two years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick, I think you are very smart and funny and I never seem to disagree with with what you say until now.

How can you say they repeated Dookie ??? "Good Riddance", "I walk alone", "When September Ends"???

How are these not different from the songs of Dookie?

btw, 98% of bands have a hit record and repeat it. I don't think this is the exact case with Green Day.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No love for Rage against the Machine as one of the defining bands of our generation. For shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call Rage a unique band ( at the time ) who pioneered a genre, they were one of the first to combine rap and hard rock. If you want to say defining, I wouldn't argue.
BTW, the first time I heard RATM was at Lollapalooza in 93'. They were amazing. I went out and bought their CD the next day. ( See, back then we had to actually go to stores and buy CDs ) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to say defining, I wouldn't argue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, but they're widespread appeal is not nearly as high as a plethora of other bands in their timeframe. Marilyn Manson sure had a different approach, but I wouldn't exactly file him under defining a generation.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to say defining, I wouldn't argue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, but they're widespread appeal is not nearly as high as a plethora of other bands in their timeframe. Marilyn Manson sure had a different approach, but I wouldn't exactly file him under defining a generation.

[/ QUOTE ]

My argument for RATM being a defining band would be that they influenced the sound of subsequent bands and were unique bands when they came out. RATM did this, bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit were most definitely influenced by RATM. Whereas Marilyn Manson was basically a modern take on Alice Cooper, and not many bands after Manson were obviously influenced by them.