Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Thoughts/Ramblings

First, this probably shouldn't be posted here, but I'm an avid lurker of this forum (especially the mtt board) so here is where i posted it. Anyways, I'm a relative newcomer to poker. I'm only 17 and I've been playing for about 2 years. I've had decent success live with a net profit of about $800 last summer playing $.25/50 NL holdem (mostly holdem, sometimes a mixed game) with a bunch of college guys. Anyways, I put $50 on a stars account about a month ago and in about 2 weeks I had built my bankroll to $250 playing $5 sng's. However, in the last week I've lost $200 and am back to my original $50. This can mostly be attributed to playing tournaments out of my bankroll. My question is even though I know proper bankroll management (tournaments 1-2% of roll) why do I find it hard to play within my bankroll? I'm generally very frugal with my money, but it just seems like the tournaments scream my name. Anyways, any questions, comments, advice would be appreciated. Also, I'm trying to have a bankroll of at least $1,000 before I enter college next fall(hopefully Vanderbilt) and would also appreciate advice on game selection. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Thoughts/Ramblings

Your primary question is most appropriate in the psychology forum, so that's where this is going. As for game selection, you might want to repost in Internet or the General Hold Em forum if you're trying to get feedback on various games.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:46 AM

realize that your bankroll requirements are not only tied to your winrate but also the variance you can expect to expeience.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:15 AM

Assuming you know how to play the game (and it sounds very much as if you do), the singlemost important item in your control is your bankroll. You can be the best player around but if variance hits (and it ALWAYS does), you could get hurt very badly playing outside your roll. You know that perfectly well and you know that you are not exempt, so why would you want to risk it, knowing full well that that bad run can occur at any time?

I've taken it to the other extreme, i.e. I'm WAAAYYY overbankrolled, but that's where I need to be so that aggression is easy for me and so that I simply see chips and not money.

Playing with a proper bankroll is a subset of DISCIPLINE, and without discipline, you're toast and you know that as well as the rest of us.

Good Luck
Old 12-15-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is even though I know proper bankroll management (tournaments 1-2% of roll) why do I find it hard to play within my bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?" -- Robert Browning
Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 PM

Everyone learns to play gambling games within their ability and bankroll. That is if you plan to continue playing gambling games without adverse effects on your life.

You see in gambling there is no great big prize that is going to change your life. For most poker is not a means to a specific end. For most it is just a hobby. Something fun to do. And making $$ at it is nice.

Why do you feel the need to play over your head? Do you realize you are taking a shot at hitting a nice payday? Or are you getting off on the rush of gambling?

Think about it. You will be happy to determine what you want out of gambling now before you get any more caught up.