Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Putting it all-in with QQ unimproved??

Party Poker $100NL. Full Ring. Effective stacks ~$85. Hero is in MP with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

UTG+1 limpes, all fold to Hero who raises to $5, folds to SB who calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Flop (~$10): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets $15, Hero raises to $40. SB thinks for a long time and calls.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks. Hero pushes all-in for $40 more.

When villain bets out like this, I assume he has a pocket pair, probably smaller than my queens, but not guaranteed. I give consideration to a flush draw, most likely A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K/Q/J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Unfortunately, if he has AK, the turn hits him, but it misses pretty much every other hand, and the pot is now $90 to my $40 stack, so I don't know that I can get out of this hand either way.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Putting it all-in with QQ unimproved??

That turn sure looks nasty, but I think it would be pretty weak to slow down with queens here. Like you said, it looks like a smaller PP something like JJ-77, with jacks and tens being much more likely than 99-77. I'm more worried about KQ and KJ of diamonds than AK because I think most players have the ability to take the lead with that hand PF under these circumstances.

But you cannot give it up here just because the turn could have hit a few of his hands. The pot's big and you have to fight over it. Well played on every street. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:35 PM

Yeah . . . bad situation. I think you're right to put it in and pray he folds, because I doubt you're getting a call from anything that's behind you at this point.

Just one of those hands that you sometimes have to pay.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you're getting a call from anything that's behind you at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

A flush/straight draw that called on the flop will be calling on the turn here. That seems like her most likely holding given her torturous call on the flop without odds. Good push. I make the same play most of the time.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:39 PM

I would play it the same and feel happy about the turn situation. You're almost always winning here.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker $100NL. Full Ring. Effective stacks ~$85. Hero is in MP with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

UTG+1 limpes, all fold to Hero who raises to $5, folds to SB who calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Flop (~$10): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets $15, Hero raises to $40. SB thinks for a long time and calls.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks. Hero pushes all-in for $40 more.

When villain bets out like this, I assume he has a pocket pair, probably smaller than my queens, but not guaranteed. I give consideration to a flush draw, most likely A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K/Q/J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Unfortunately, if he has AK, the turn hits him, but it misses pretty much every other hand, and the pot is now $90 to my $40 stack, so I don't know that I can get out of this hand either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the stacks that make this so awkward. Unfortunately, any thinking villain with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is going to realize that he has 12 outs (9 diamonds and the three remaining 3s) and make this call correctly because he's getting better than 3:1 on his money. But, you don't really have much choice but to charge him what you can. Every hand you are really beating here (JJ,TT,99,88,77) folds.

Does anybody push the flop here because any decent raise leaves them which such an awkward amount left to be on the turn? Just curious.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:41 PM

Results in white (slightly strange):

<font color="white">
Villain calls and shows TT. He does not improve and MHIG.

I love it when this happens.

</font>