Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: I now fold AK a lot pf.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm kind of an advocate of HOH

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I, tell me where he tells you to play AK like that.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My rule with AK: I won't risk my tournament life with it if I have a decent stack and someone infront has wen't all-in..

I will however always call a raise with it and see a flop, only way I lay it down is raise-re-raise from tight players

I definitely don't raise a raiser, always just call and I can either outplay him or he can outplay me on the flop.. no re-raising with non-made hands

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible horrible horrible weak tight advice.

not reraising with "not made hands" is stupid. It is made if he has AQ. Don't just make these ridiculous rules that are supposed to cover every situation. If the money is deep and I have position, I may just call, but I'm usually reraising it preflop. If the stacks are short, im looking to get all in with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep if stacks are short of course all hands grow in value, and AK is a great hand.. As mentioned, I'll always have position on the raiser since he's making the initial raise (unless it's Button/Blind play)
Old 09-26-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm kind of an advocate of HOH

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I, tell me where he tells you to play AK like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pg.190 Vol.1

Case 2: The player in third position opened for three times the big blind. You are in fifth position

HoldingAx: "Ace King is worth a call whether suited or unsuited" - D.H.

Note to self: Only used against conservative players.. Aggressive then I'll narrow the gap
Old 09-26-2005, 02:30 AM

this thread is useless without examples.

can you show us when and how you folded AK tonight?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:31 AM

I dont happen to have it in front of me, but I know he only says that about certain circumstances. You said if I recall "I never reraise without a made hand." I think this a pretty bad concept to follow. Sorry if I came off too harsh.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont happen to have it in front of me, but I know he only says that about certain circumstances. You said if I recall "I never reraise without a made hand." I think this a pretty bad concept to follow. Sorry if I came off too harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely keep a tight leash on hands that I re-raise with.. It keeps me out of trouble for the mostpart.. now of course a person who is LAG and just raises with Aces and any paint cards is dealt with accordingly
Old 09-26-2005, 02:38 AM

People also need to take things in context. A lot of Dan Harringtons advice is for tournaments where the money is deep... whereas here we usually advocate advice for online tournaments where the money is rarely deep past the first or second hour.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:40 AM

Like I said...most average players misplay it more than any other hand, and I'm not talking about on the flop. Reraising it blindly is as bad as always just calling a raise with it, because so much depends on your position/hand range of the other player.

Let's start with this: seeking out a pure flip with only the blinds as dead chips when you have > 12-15-ish BB is nearly always -EV for a good player.

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed, people say it all the time that it's 'too early' to be risking the tournament... screw that, if i go out early, maybe it's a little frustrating, but atleast you didnt waste 3 hours to go out on the bubble.. you have to accumulate and to do the bulk of that acquiring you hvae to risk a lot, or all of your chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm usually torn between these kinds of decisions early on.. on one hand I would love to double up and not have the blinds breathing on me every 15 minutes.. On the other hand I always feel like I can navigate through with some patience and timing.. hmmm..

I've been meaning to ask you guys about this. Everything I've read says raise and reraise with AK but I wasn't having much success with that so I started playing tighter with it. And I've won a bundle from people who get wed to AK and stay right to the river with nothing, even knocked them out of tournaments. Tonight I got a little overimpressed with AK myself in the UB $200 tournament and was out in about an hour and a half. It took me forever to win that seat in the morning so I wish I'd thrown the AK away when I totally missed the flop. Should have saved the hand and posted it. Oh well, it is very confusing.