Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: is it rude to buy in for $300 in a 4-8 game?

[ QUOTE ]
Nope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fricking wish I had my camera on my last time I was in Vegas.

I was at the Wynn with a 6-5-4-3-2 pyramid of reds in the $15/30 before I had to color down because the guy next to me complained he couldn't see the flop.

Difference is, I won those [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 10:21 PM

Do whatever you want. I bought in for 1k one time in a 5-10 everyone stared at me. Its all good i gave it to them anyway.....
Old 09-09-2005, 02:09 AM

My standard buy-in is two or three racks. I like having chips in front of me. At 4/8. I generally buy-in for three racks.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:18 PM

Was playing 4-8 at Foxwoods a couple months ago and some dude sits down and throws down 6 one-hundred dollar bills for a buy-in. Thankfully dealer only sold him 200.

But yeah, if you buy in for a huge amount like that it's usually a sign that you're an idiot. This guy was a serious tool... unfortunately that tool took me for quite a few chips in bad beats.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But yeah, if you buy in for a huge amount like that it's usually a sign that you're an idiot. This guy was a serious tool... unfortunately that tool took me for quite a few chips in bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, the fact that pretty much all of us in small stakes buy in for exorbinant amounts when playing live runs directly counter to what you just said. when i play 3/6 ill usually get 3 racks for the hell of it. 6/12 ill get 2 racks. chips are entertaining, live poker is not always entertaining.

rj
Old 09-15-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yes, the fact that pretty much all of us in small stakes buy in for exorbinant amounts when playing live runs directly counter to what you just said. when i play 3/6 ill usually get 3 racks for the hell of it. 6/12 ill get 2 racks. chips are entertaining, live poker is not always entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's interesting. I guess you have had different experiences, cuz I rarely see people but in for huge amounts at low limits. It's always the exception and not the rule. Also, not sure what you mean by "chips are entertaining." To me they're only entertaining if they represent somebody else's money, not my buy in. I mean unless you're into doing crazy chip tricks and crazy stacking methods and what not, in which case I could see how you'd call them entertaining, but that's really an adjective I haven't seen used to describe chips before.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Cheers.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:50 PM

20-30 bb is typical unless it's a kill or 1/2-kill game. For a normal $4-8, $240 (200 red, 40 white) is usually fine. Most people don't care; If I see someone with $400 or $500+ in front, I always assume they're waiting for a $10-20 seat or had a long run of cards. 2/3 of the time I've seen it they were contributors and bled out 30bb. The other time the guy had a good run at $10-20 and was waiting for his ride not wanting let his profit slip away. After a couple of cycles it should be easy to figure which you're facing.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's interesting. I guess you have had different experiences, cuz I rarely see people but in for huge amounts at low limits. It's always the exception and not the rule. Also, not sure what you mean by "chips are entertaining." To me they're only entertaining if they represent somebody else's money, not my buy in. I mean unless you're into doing crazy chip tricks and crazy stacking methods and what not, in which case I could see how you'd call them entertaining, but that's really an adjective I haven't seen used to describe chips before.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean you cant find a way to keep yourself entertained with a TON of small objects? i usuallty restack my towers like 10 times and just shuffle them around to keep from being bored out of my mind, which usually goes down in live poker. good christ its boring.

rj
Old 09-15-2005, 10:17 PM

The nits get very annoyed when I sit in the Borgata 6/12 games with $500. I buy for a $400 red/$100 white split just because nobody ever has enough white in those games, and the constant making of change slows the game... so my excess white makes it into other people's stacks and for a short blissful 40 minutes to an hour the game speeds up.

That said, playing with 300BB+ on the table is really ideal. That way if you flop straight frush over straight frush, ya know, you can get paid off well, or something. In fact, I dare you guys to see how many racks of white the Excalibur will let you buy before they just refuse to sell more. Believe me, this is a tougher quest than it may seem to be. My record is 8... and stacking those fuckers was a real challenge due to their wood rail on the tables.

Even with 4 racks it wasn't easy:

And by the way, how's my Bill Fillmaff impression? Goot, no?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:42 AM

Really the only reason to buy in for a certain amount is to make sure that you have enough to fund one hand should there be multiple raises on the various streets. You can always rebuy after the hand! That's why I don't get it when people throw down $500 for a 3-6 game.