Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Sit with max when 200 BB is allowed ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or does it matter what the others sit with?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it does, if no-one has more than 110 there is no need to buy-in for more than that....

[/ QUOTE ]

This could change in one hand.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This depends a lot on the table and on your play. If $200 is too much for you to put in on a single hand, don't play that high.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

You do have to be aware of how the table is playing, though. I play in two local games where the max buy-in is greater than the standard 100BB, and I always buy-in for the max, even if most other players are buying in short. I used to play a large stack very poorly. If this is your case, then I agree somewhat with xorbie.

But at the same time, would you also quit every time you built your stack to 200BB during a session? If the answer is no, then buy the full amount.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:13 PM

consider your bankroll when doing this. If you only have a 20 (normal) buy-in roll, then i wouldn't buy in for 200BB. Buying "short" can also ease the transition when moving up. I'm testing the waters at 100NL, and only buy in for 100BB at those tables, but still do the full 200BB at 50NL.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:16 PM

It is not true that you should always sit down with the max. Barry Greinstein advocates buying in short in his book. I have been trying it lately by buying in for 50BBs, and it has brought success so far. I get a lot of loose calls I probably wouldn't get if I had a full stack behind . . . either players don't mind losing 45BBs with top pair or they think I'm bad because I bought in short (or both). It also makes decision making with TPTK and overpairs very easy.

That being said, if a table is particularly juicy I will buy in for the max to take advantage. Last session there was a full-ring table with 3 horrible players that had all chipped up big time. I dropped a buy-in on AA all-in pre-flop and decided to rebuy max . . . was up to $400 in about 30 minutes.

Time and place for everything . . .
Old 11-11-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It is not true that you should always sit down with the max. Barry Greinstein advocates buying in short in his book.

[/ QUOTE ]

People keep saying this, but I don't remember it from Barry's book. Can you get the quote and context, please?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry Greinstein advocates buying in short in his book. I have been trying it lately by buying in for 50BBs, and it has brought success so far. It also makes decision making with TPTK and overpairs very easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no sources, but I think that a solid player with good control will earn more from TPTK and overpair hands with a large stack than with a small stack, over the long run. I am not one of those players.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:32 PM

If you have the book, you should be able to find it. He was clear on the subject. He said he usually buys in short because it makes decisions easier.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:20 PM

i started as a limit player, so buying in short has helped me make the change. i have been buying in short lately, so i can play almost limit style, but make more money than if i were playing limit. also, i agree that people seem to pay me off a lot more, because they assume i suck donkey balls because of my short stack. while i'm not great, i usually still have the best hand when the money goes in. i'm not sure if they would pay me off as much if i had a full buy-in, but my results have been quite good so far. next week i might go back up to the full buy-in and try to play poker again. if you start tilting, i recommend buying short. it helps.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you start tilting, leave. it helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-11-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have no sources, but I think that a solid player with good control will earn more from TPTK and overpair hands with a large stack than with a small stack, over the long run. I am not one of those players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Buying in short limits your value from sets, straights, and flushes . . . nut-type hands. A lot of the time when you get more than 50BBs in with TPTK and overpairs, your hand will not be the winner, so buying in short does not lose you much/any from TPTK and overpairs.