Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 02:21 AM

Default AK play quideline?

playing AK in late position i find myself playing it the same way everytime no big cards or straight or flush draws are on the board. for example if the hand looked something like 249 6. i know a straight is possible here but let me get to the point im trying to. i will bet the flop, and then bet the turn, looking to probably check the river if its checked to me if no cards come that could help me. anyone have other suggestions on this?
Old 01-09-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: AK play quideline?

It all depends
Old 01-09-2005, 02:32 AM

Depends on what happened preflop.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:42 AM

ok lets say, utg +1 calls everyone folds to me at CO. i raise, BB calls and utg+1. same flop, checked to me i bet, two calls. same turn, checked to me i bet, two calls. then the river comes a J. its checked to me, do you bet there or take the check?
Old 01-09-2005, 02:44 AM

Any reads? I don't think I make the turn bet against two opponents without a read on them.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:48 AM

im making the turn bet hopefully to scare them. i can see BB having a small pair and hoping i could get him out of there. im just not sure if checking for the free card is correct or betting to show strenght in my hand against a possible small pair.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:55 AM

I know why you are betting, the problem is you have raised pre-flop and bet the flop, 2 players have called it all. Do you really have any fold equitity in the turn bet. I don't think you have enough to make it +EV. I think I check the turn. If it was heads up on the flop, I think betting the turn is better now. But I still want a read. If my opponent is decent, I will check the river more often than if he is weak heads up fearing the rope a dope play.

Vern
Old 01-09-2005, 03:05 AM

You need to do 3 things:

1. Search this forum for things like AK CO, or AK button, or anything AK related. Search the archives as well.
2. Read SSH section on playing overcards.
3. Read ITH section on playing overcards.

Just remember one thing... Overcards are a very weak draw. Once you bet the flop and you got 2 callers, the chances of you having a good hand are slim, and with most fish on the market today, they won't fold pocket 2's for nothing.

In your generic situation of AK in CO, raising first in, I bet the flop and check the turn. If you have reads, you can change that. If you know that SB and BB have tendencies to fold on the turn to continued aggression, then by all means... bet. It's possible that they missed the board as well. They will generally only call your turn bet here w/ a better hand than you have, so don't bet the river... just give it up.

Outplaying your opponents also includes knowing how to play your draws (however weak they are) properly.