Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2004, 12:00 AM

Default Push with 99?

$5 buy-in, average stack is T550, 6 players left (out of 8). First place gets $35, 2nd place breaks even. I have T630 and blinds are 10/20. EMP (big stack w/T1100)raises to T60, EMP+1 calls. (EMP only raises with good hands, but I didn't put him on AA or KK since he raises less with those)

I have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP.
If I fold this, I could be folding the best hand, but if I call, I could lose T60 or even more if the board is tricky. I push. Comments?

Results:
<font color="white"> EMP calls with AcKc and EMP+1 folds. EMP gets an ace to win the pot. </font>
Old 07-31-2004, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Push with 99?

Thats a bold move, If you get called your 50/50 or nearly dead. I couldn't see the results, but even If AKS called and your 99 held up, this is not a good move in the long run. If you where worried about losing your $60 to a tricky flop, you need learn that you can't win everyhand you play. If you are going to see a flop with 99 you are going to lose most of the time.

For T60, I call and play set or fold.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:08 AM

Dont push here.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:28 PM

well if I don't push, do I call or fold? The call is a bit over a tenth of my stack here, is there some general rule as to how much I can invest preflop based on how big my stack is?
Old 07-31-2004, 02:08 PM

Okay, lets break it down

Odds to call 2.5-1 , odds would be worth a call if you
felt no one else was holding a larger
pair. be about 2-1.04

Implied odds 14.3-1 you have a 7.51-1 chance of flopping a
set. if you flop a set you can most
of the time double up that gives you
14.3-1.08 implied odds(I belive is
Correct) 60 to win 780.

My line of play, here. For only the 10% of your stack I would call here, if I didn't hit a set I would fold. Even if the flop comes three unders, I would be leary about calling any kind of bet.
I guess you could justify a fold, but its boarderline. If the raise was much highr say 90-125, I would more than likley laydown preflop. IMO
Old 07-31-2004, 05:07 PM

Yes, my reply was generic, and for that I am sorry.

I am semi afraid to say what I would do for fear of rejection :/

Honestly I would raise him, but not push. He made it 60 to go I would make it 150 to go. If he pushes on you then fold. If he calls then you are nearly certain he does not have a large pair AA-QQ. You are trying to make it HU, and you will have position and the lead.

If the flop comes up all undercards I push the flop if he checks to you. If the flop comes with 1-2 overs I bet the pot.

I am not a fan of looking for only a set after any raise. If I have position I like to buy the lead with a hand this decent.

I do not reccomend this. I am not sure my play is correct, but I am aggressive. I dont mind busting out early myself, and once I get a big stack I know how to use it. I am aslo normally good at recovering once getting short stacked.

I am curious what the gurus think of my play here.