Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 04:10 PM

Default Going nuts with 66

Poker Stars 2-4 short handed
Fiver handed I am in the cutoff. Folded to manic in front of me he raises, I Reraise with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], folded back to the manic he rerasies I cap.
The flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] He checks I bet, he calls
Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] He bets I raise he 3 bets I call.
River is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] He bets I call
Thoughts? I never would have played the hand this way against a normal or good player, but i had seen him 3bet the river with A high. But i still think i drastically overcompensated.

Old 11-07-2003, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Going nuts with 66

You're committed to a showdown, that is obvious. So don't raise the turn. No point in putting more money in here than you have to. He won't stop betting either way, so raising gets you nothing.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Going nuts with 66

Playing against a bad player with a bad hand won't get you very far, and 66 is not a spectacular hand heads up. Odds are that the maniac has two overcards to your pocket pair, which makes this essentially a coin flip. Isolating is not a terrible play, but I think you need to proceed a bit more carefully once the flop comes, since the maniac actually has some advantages once the two of you are heads up: it is very difficult to know what he's holding, and it is even more difficult to push him out of the pot, whether or not you have a made hand. With that particular flop, I think you're probably a slight 'dawg against the range of holdings that a very loose aggressive (but not completely random) player might raise with, and I'd rather try and get it to a showdown cheaply.