Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Take the free card?

I usually take an aggressive tact and bet my strong draws but wanted to hear some opinions. I'm sure my pre-flop raise may concern some, but in a field of limpers I felt comfortable with the play. Question is more on the flop. What are the merits of betting? How much? How about checking through?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney (10+1), Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t1190)
MP3 (t785)
Hero (t770)
Button (t770)
SB (t455)
BB (t800)
UTG (t770)
UTG+1 (t860)
UTG+2 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t15, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t45, UTG calls t45, MP2 calls t45, MP3 folds.

Flop: (t265) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ...
Old 02-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Take the free card?

Why do you want to give them a card when you are a huge favourite to win this, even against top pair? Bet for value.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:11 PM

What if I just had an OESD? or 4 to a flush?
Old 02-05-2005, 05:21 PM

I'm not real thrilled with a preflop raise with KJo, but they are checking to you because:

1. They are going to slowpay their made flush and see if they can trap you since you showed strength.

or more than likely

2. They are checking to the preflop raiser.

Don't disappoint them. I would bet about 1/2 the pot. You have a very good chance of winning it right there. If they call, you have tons of outs to make the best hand.

If they reraise you then you can figure they have the flush and you have another decision to make as to whether you have the correct pot odds to draw to a J high flush and if you do hit, will it be good enough (you get into these jams when you raise with KJo).
Old 02-05-2005, 06:05 PM

In a 200 chip pot, I think a small bet of 30-50 chips here will give you a lot.

1 - you might win the pot right here.
2 - caller(s) are either on a made flush, or drawing to the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. THIS IS THE MOST LIKELY SCENARIO, IMO.
3 - caller(s) have some other decent hand like TPTK, or a set.
4 - finally, you might just get a push from someone who has a made flush with weak cards, like 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Since, I would assume #2 above, I know that my J of spades is no good, and would be wary of betting too much if I make my straight. Your edge would be minimal here, if even positive.