Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Back Down

Okay, I've started my quest to learn six max.

Do any of you backdown on a hand like this and when?

I have only played with the villain for about 12 hands, so I have no read on his play. If I knew he was a solid player, I've may have played the hand differently. With no reads though, I have a hard time not being aggressive to the end on this hand.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Villain 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, Villain calls.

Okay, I've flopped a set but the action already has me seeing monsters under the bed. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Turn: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Villain caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Now, my set has turned into a boat but the monsters under the bed are still there. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

But I decide to keep the pedal to the metal.

River: (21 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 29 BB

I'll post what the villain had later if anybody wants to know.

Doc
Old 12-24-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Back Down

You played that perfectly, I wouldn't have done anything different. Had the flop been more spread out I would not have capped the flop, but otherwise well done.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:43 PM

Oops! Meant to post this hand in the Small Stakes Shorthanded forum. Needs to probably be moved there.

Doc
Old 12-24-2005, 03:52 PM

I'd just call the river. If I remember anything about micro, though, I'd say that this is probably fine. Maybe just call the river raise.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:54 PM

Puttin him on an over set?? He almost surely has made his straight. Raising here his def +EV.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:08 PM

3 bet PF

I just call the river raise. If I really thought my hand was better than his on the river, I would have gone for the c/r instead of leading out
Old 12-24-2005, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the replies and not getting on me for posting in the wrong forum.

I was worried about JJ but the villain ended up having 7c8c. He three bet the flop with two pair and boated up on the turn with the same card I did but his boat was bigger.

But I don't feel I played it too bad with no reads on the villain. Now, if I had a read on him as a Tag or a solid player, I'd have slowed it down. But that's poker.

Thanks,
Doc