Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 11:27 AM

Default QQ v Unknown facing turn raise.

I've spent the last few months playing a mix of games and limits and have decided to return to an extended run at full table limit ring. Unfortunately I think that all this jumping about as instilled a few bad habits along the way and I need help getting back on track.

The hand below was early in the session so no read yet on the villain.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero ?????

In this hand I was against an unknown but if you'd known the villian was a TAG or a LAG what adjustments would you make to the way you play the hand?

Results and my thoughts to follow.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: QQ v Unknown facing turn raise.

cap preflop. a TAG i fold. a LAG i'll call here and see the river. a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] i'm done.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:33 AM

Probably have to look him up, pot's laying you too much not to IMO.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:38 AM

First of all I would have capped preflop. On the flop I almost never take the line you took. My standard play is to check-raise the flop. On the turn your opponent is representing a better hand than yours. It will probably cost you 2 BB to call down, but I don't think you're good here often enough to make it profitable. I would just fold to the turn raise.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:41 AM

U standrad check/raise the flop after u capped preflop? are u kidding? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
U standrad check/raise the flop after u capped preflop? are u kidding? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, but if I DIDN'T cap preflop my standard play would be to check-raise. Makes sense?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all would i have capped preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always start a session playing a little tight until I have a feel for the table and my opponents, hence no cap.

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop I almost never take the line you took. My standard play is to check-raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lead the flop here so as not to give the button a free card. I also think a check raise on the flop is going to kill any action on the turn.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I lead the flop here so as not to give the button a free card

[/ QUOTE ]

A typical TAG will check behind approximately never.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Results + a follow up question

Results are rather dull in that given the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the turn and my bet being raised I folded. It was going to cost 2BB to see a showdown that I'd need to win 25% of the time which seemed unlikely.

As for how I'd play it against a TAG or a LAG I'd fold against a TAG but go to showdown against a LAG. I'd also be more likely to check raise a LAG on either flop or turn but it seems I should be doing that regardless. It looks like all the NL I've played recently as got my mind into continuation bet mode which only confirms my initial suspicions that my limit game needs fixing.

Follow up question.
In the hand I treated the unknown as though he was a good player. Is this the right thing to do in the modern climate where the games are tighter than couple of years ago or is it still correct to assume all players are bad until they convince you otherwise?