Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: I guess it\'s time to get it all in -- flop bluff

[ QUOTE ]

But if you had AA, nothing calls that you beat, everything that beats you calls...do you get how that works? of some

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. I can provide examples if really needed.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you are suggesting that if I had AA I should be finding a spot to get away from this hand is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that you should be looking for a spot to get away from AA...I never said that. Let me repeat it one time for the cheap seats:

"massively overbetting the pot with 1 pair even AA, is STUPID".

I'm not talking about the bluff now, i'm talking about how i'd play AA on this flop. But if you had AA, nothing calls that you beat, everything that beats you calls...do you get how that works? If you flop two pair on a flop of 762 and the guy that raised preflop reraises you all in, are you calling, YES. If you flop top pair on that same flop and you get raised all in are you folding, YES....you make it impossible for them to make a mistake against you....get it? If you only make a normal sized raise with your aces and all he has is top pair, he *might* call that in case you are bluffing. See how that works. Seriously, if you hope to be playing 10/20 by next year I don't see it happening if you don't have a firm grasp of some fairly basic concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the laughable lecture on my lack of grasp of basic concepts. I fully understand the idea of making raises that can only be called when I beat. Trust me.

Please do me a big favor and give me your line for playing AA on this flop. If it involves raising to $40 and then getting all-in on the turn.. YAWN

It's the same exact as just pushing, except given your tendencies it's actually better. Because as you say, you are more likely to call when I play it this way.

Call me an arrogant bastard but I'm positive I could beat 10/20 right now, I just don't have the roll for it. Stuck in $200/$400 NL for now.

This post can give you an idea of my background.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Call me an arrogant bastard but I'm positive I could beat 10/20 right now, I just don't have the roll for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre an arrogant bastard
Old 11-07-2005, 04:57 PM

ok i'm done arguing with you.

The entire forum said your line sucks, you want to keep arguing, fine. Go to another forum if we have nothing to offer...i guess you are just too smart for anyone. You probably got called and sucked out with running 5's or something.

Read theory of poker...understand some of the concepts then come back. Or continue overbetting the pot with AA all the time...let me know how that works out for you.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok i'm done arguing with you.

The entire forum said your line sucks, you want to keep arguing, fine. Go to another forum if we have nothing to offer...i guess you are just too smart for anyone. You probably got called and sucked out with running 5's or something.

Read theory of poker...understand some of the concepts then come back. Or continue overbetting the pot with AA all the time...let me know how that works out for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please give me your line with AA on this flop?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 PM

I basically gave it. I'd raise his $8 bet, but it would be a normal sized raise like the entire forum suggested. If he played back at me, or just called then obviously I have to make a turn decision. Then my lines on the turn change depending on what falls. If another 10 falls or something i'd probably check behind or fold to an open push. If a club fell i'd probably check behind and call any river bet. If a blank fell i'd probably make a 1/2 - 2/3 pot bet. I'd like him to make mistakes basically. I'm really only afraid of TT and something with a 3 in it. I really don't think he has a 3 though and I think he's drawing at 2 outs against you unless he's got a flush draw. The best thing that could happen is him having something like j 10 and having him spike a jack or something.....
Old 11-07-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, if i'm villain in this hand, i'm much more likely to call a push than a raise to $70. One looks like a desperate bluff, one doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you respond to this specifically? Suppose you had JJ here. It sounds like I'd be losing a lot of value if I raised you less than all-in.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, if i'm villain in this hand, i'm much more likely to call a push than a raise to $70. One looks like a desperate bluff, one doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you respond to this specifically? Suppose you had JJ here. It sounds like I'd be losing a lot of value if I raised you less than all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is read dependent. If i'd seen you make crazy bluffs before i'm likely to call with JJ here. But it isn't that straight-forward. If I see you make a crazy bluff that was called or one that you showed..i'm going to assume the next couple times you make it, that it's probably the goods....it's not 100% cut and dried. If I have JJ-KK on this flop and you have AA then if you push there's a semi-decent chance you get my cash because i'd think you were bluffing at least a decent portion of that time or overplaying A-10...especially if you play this way all the time.....if you do periods of hot and cold, meaning you play crazy for a while, then settle down and play tight for a while it would boil down to what I thought at this exact moment, and how my reads were that night.

for example, last night I saw a guy make a big bluff on the river against someone and show it. He tried a massive river overbet against me which I folded TPTK to, and he showed down a rivered FH....i suspected he was trying to make me think he was bluffing again and I was right.....the next time he tried it I caught him bluffing....boils down to how they play and my reads and my gut. Nothing else I can tell ya other than that.

Given the way the hand in this example played out and if you had been playing the same way earlier, I think there's a fairly decent chance you got called here...that's just my .02. Also someone having notes on you is definitely in the realm of possibilities. There is nothing terribly wrong with your style, but it's proably very high variance. You are going to get more action on your big hands than me, but you are going to get stacked a LOT more than I am too....it probably evens out. In my experience though on these 6max tables, the turnover is so high that advertising plays have limited value and don't always give you the returns that you'd get in say a brick and mortar setting. Also people multi-tabling might not even see the hand.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:43 PM

You realize that smart LAGs are very familiar with this psychology? People keep thinking that this must be the time that he really has it -- that they were set up. So they just keep folding.

They'll need the nuts to ever call.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You realize that smart LAGs are very familiar with this psychology? People keep thinking that this must be the time that he really has it -- that they were set up. So they just keep folding.

They'll need the nuts to ever call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't...and most decent TAGs will realize what you are up to...someone can't have the nuts everytime and sooner or later you are going to get looked up...now sometimes when you get looked up, you'll have it...other times you won't. The other issue is that this works primarily on TAGS sometimes, tight passives all the time, and it doesn't work very often at all on donkeys. You do have to be selective in your play.

A lot of times when I want to have fun and be a maniac, i'll play only 1 table and i'll make lots of crazy bluffs that I always show.....then when I get the goods I get paid off....It's good fun and it works, but sometimes your bluffs get called...when they do I generally fold....when you open push overbet the pot folding isn't really an option and if you get looked up they take your stack.