Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Math Degrees and Careers

That's probably "enough" in some sense, but it really I think is a case of more is better. Even something like abstract algebra that you won't really use directly in economics is useful because it teaches you better how to think rigorously and construct proofs, something you will need in first year micro and metrics. Differential equations will be a big help getting through first year macro. Topology is generally recommended, but I don't feel like I missed anything by not getting that at the undergrad level. I'd definitely take a second semester of real analysis if they offer it. I'd also take any other math class you see that seems fun or interesting unless doing so hampers you from getting something else you need.

Basically, while you can succeed at a top program with that background (I know people doing reasonably well with a lot less math), you'll find that how much you enjoy the first year of econ grad school is pretty much directly related to how much math you've had in the past. Aside from basic macro/micro, undergrad econ classes won't really help at all except to make you aware of some of the issues that people study.

If you want to do economic theory (which most people don't), take every math class you can get. You will likely want to start taking graduate math classes as well since most people who do this have either a masters in math or a relatively equivalent background.

If you want to do econometric theory (which again most people don't), those stat graduate classes will help. Many people who do this end up with a masters in stat or equivalent training.

Also, you should check out econphd (google it, I think but am not sure that it is just econphd.net). I found that moderately helpful when I was in the applications process.