Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: God is Love

The inscription above Dante's inferno reads "I too was created by eternal love."
Nietzsche correctly observes that it should read "I too was created by eternal hate."
You are VERY selective in your reading of the bible. The reality of hell means not only that God gives up on people, but also that beneath this mask of "love" is an unimaginable cruelty and readiness to punish beyond measure.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:58 AM

God=Love=Hope
Old 05-22-2005, 11:28 AM

Love for the sake of loving, not because of the consequences one will face if one does not love.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The inscription above Dante's inferno reads "I too was created by eternal love."

[/ QUOTE ]

Dante isn't Scripture.

[ QUOTE ]

The reality of hell means not only that God gives up on people

[/ QUOTE ]

People give up on God.

My post was intentionally one-sided. It was intentionally selective. It would have to be, else I would have to quote the entire Bible.

Some day I will make my God is Justice post. This is another great theme of the Bible. But in the past debates on this forum I have talked about justice and punishment, and I haven't changed my mind about them. God is a God of wrath as well as love.

Romans 11:
33Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!
Old 05-22-2005, 12:46 PM

to behave in a way that will get you to take the non selfish choice in Prisoner Dillemma and similar situations.

Are you aware of the tit-for-tat but otherwise cooperating to handle these situations?

Also cooperation may evolve to benefit survival of some genes which is all that matters anyway in evolution.

I am not quite ready to become a Sklanskian

D.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dante isn't Scripture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is. I'm a Dantian and you've just disrespected my holy book.

My serious point is that you CAN NOT say the bible is true because it's holy and it's holy because the bible says so.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The reality of hell means not only that God gives up on people

[/ QUOTE ]

People give up on God.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if God is Love shouldn't he be the one who doesn't give up on people, who are are all imperfect sinners anyway?
Old 05-22-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But if God is Love shouldn't he be the one who doesn't give up on people, who are are all imperfect sinners anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

He died that we might live. He offers the gift of eternal life. You refuse. Exactly who is giving up on who?
Old 05-22-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dante isn't Scripture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scripture isn't Dante.

[ QUOTE ]

People give up on God.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of Jesus' sacrifice is normally understood as that God does not give up on people who give up on him/her. Otherwise there is no point in sending a Saviour if God gives up on people who give up on him/her.

[ QUOTE ]

God is a God of wrath as well as love.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incoherent, to say the least.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Incoherent, to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love without justice in truly incoherent.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:50 PM

"Are you aware of the tit-for-tat but otherwise cooperating to handle these situations?"

Hey, since when are insults allowed on this forum? Robert Axelrod. And there are even some schemes that have been shown to be slightly better. But they all suffer from occasional defections. If everyone believed that God wouldn't tolerate it, it would virtually end that problem.

Anyway thanks for coining the word Sklanskian. I like it better than Sklanskyite evn though it changes the last letter of my name. I also encourage everyone to point out logical problems with it right now. I only took five minutes to think up this new, better, religion so their might be some minor flaws. We need to fix them now so when we are in the middle of collecting our billions some wise guy like me doesn't get on a website to try to gum up the works.