Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2004, 03:20 PM

Default Re: I think I should quit (long)

yes that is exactly right, a positive ROI is obviously a good one. And before in the first post, you said SNG's are becoming an expensive habbit? i dont see how a 14% ROI can be an expensive habbit. I think you should quit your whining and continue [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

I have a feeling your play towards the end is not that great. considering half your ITM finishes are 3rd's. I generally try to double up with 3 left so i either finish 3rd or 1st. The best advice anyone has ever given me regarding single tourneys is, you make alot more money by getting 75 1st's and 75 3rd's, rather than 50 1st's 2nd's and 3rd's.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you said SNG's are becoming an expensive habbit? i dont see how a 14% ROI can be an expensive habbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i noticed this right-away too.
if your ROI was -14% then i could understand a statement like this.

also - the frequency of 3rd place finishes may not be a result of poor play when it gets 3-handed..but rather leaving himself with too short of a stack to compete by playing too tight in the 4-6 players remaining.
he has a lot of 3rd AND 4th place finishes...which seems to me he is doing his best to just crawl his way along and make it to the money.
it's a possibility anyway.

on the QQ hand....i think there was a late-limper and then a raise to 150.
i don't think i would be very comfortable pushing-in here. if he's got AK then he's calling and we're in a coin-flip...which i don't want any part of in an early-round.

if he's got KK or AA then he's obviously calling....and i can definitely see this raise as indicating that he's on a bigger pair then my QQ.

he COULD have JJ or TT and i would be a 4-1 favorite if he calls (or he could very likely fold).
even if he has Ax or Kx or something i'm not a huge favorite....and there are enough players that just LOVE to call an all-in with an ace.

i just don't like the all-in push here.

anyone have opinions on a cold-call on this one and seeing where the flop takes me??
if i have an over-pair to the flop then i'm still going to get trapped and get knocked out by KK most likely....
but if there's a K or A on the flop i can get out of there with just a little damage to my stack.

it may be a weak play to just call with QQ....but i might consider it....
i might also raise the minimum and if he pushes all-in pre-flop with his KK i might even be inclined to release because now the chances that he has AA, KK or AK or much higher. maybe this is exceedingly weak-tight.

i am hardly the most expert of SNG players so i'll defer to you guys.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:18 PM

I agree...someone raises it to 15 when the blinds are at 30...you'ev got QQ...call and see a flop...you were probably going to lose a lot of your stak against KK, but still...why put your whole tourney on the line with one hand so early?? It's silly.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if your ROI was -14% then i could understand a statement like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's expensive in terms of time. It's also expensive because I make $10-$16 per hour playing low limit 6 max, 2 or 3 tables, and 14% ROI at 10+1 = $1.5 per tourney or $3 per hour (I stagger the starts, works out to about 2 per hour).

I like what you said about the QQ hand - it's kinda like I played the JJ, only I forgot to fold on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

also - the frequency of 3rd place finishes may not be a result of poor play when it gets 3-handed..but rather leaving himself with too short of a stack to compete by playing too tight in the 4-6 players remaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

This got me to thinking about my play up to the bubble. When ITM I get pretty aggressive, and I think I play ok at that point. Levels 1 and 2 I play very similar, sort of a modified Aleo Magus, meaning I call late with a few lesser hands such as medium suited connectors, and Axs, and sometimes AJo or KQo - all for no raise of course, and fold for a raise behind.

Level 4 is usually steal time if I haven't increased my stack, and I play here like the bubble - actually, in 10+1 that often is the bubble.

That leaves level 3, and your post made me think about how I play here - the 25/50 blinds. It dawned on me that I'm always uncomfortable here. Stack is usually 500-700, so I'm in the 10X BB range, few 2x or 3x raises will get respect(edit - it also takes a large % of your stack, which you may lose to a re-raise anyway), anything bigger brings in the push rule - but then you're risking your stack to win $75, which seems too little. I think you're right, I do play very tight at this level, and I don't think I could say what the proper strategy is here.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:25 PM

you couldn't have said it better, Bob...I agree completely with your analysis of the QQ hand. Why go all-in so early when you know most callers will at least be in a coin-flip with you?
Old 07-18-2004, 05:27 PM

I can see this and will probably play that way in future. What about KK and AA? Push, right?
Old 07-18-2004, 07:05 PM

I don't think it's horrible to push with AA or KK...but again...why risk your whole stack over one hand? What if AQ calls your KK and spikes an A? Or KQ calls your AA and hits 2 pair? Granted, not likely but it does happen...of course, if someone re-raises you and you have K or AA...sure, push...what the hell?
Old 07-18-2004, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, Q.
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO raises to t45, Hero raises to t125, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t110, CO calls t80.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise more here, I would make it more like 200.

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, J.
Hero calls t15,

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is a must raise situation at this level on Party.

The rest all seems pretty standard, you just got unlucky. Don't give up yet, your ROI is quite low at the moment (but still reasonable) and in my experience ROI can fluctuate pretty wildly with small sample sizes.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's horrible to push with AA or KK...but again...why risk your whole stack over one hand? What if AQ calls your KK and spikes an A? Or KQ calls your AA and hits 2 pair? Granted, not likely but it does happen...of course, if someone re-raises you and you have K or AA...sure, push...what the hell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this serious? With AA or KK, if I can I'll get all my money in PF 100% of the time. What ifs, what ifs, KK is a big fav to AQ, I'm willing to take those odds on the first hand.

There's a big gap between AA-KK, and QQ.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:32 AM

And QQ is almost as good vs AQ, but much worse vs AK, and JJ is about the same as QQ vs AK.