Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: QQ

hm, there's some work to be done here about icm stuff when there's chips in the pot, but do you really want the action to be:

you raise, sb pushes, bb folds, action to you?

at some point the other guys are short enough that if you put the big stacked aggressor on a reasonable range, you're supposed to fold hands as good as qq because of the soon to bust guy. i haven't even considered putting this stuff through icm, but i'd think that the next variation on eastbay's program could have something to help with this.

this is intimately related to pushing is good and calling is bad.

i push preflop here, especially at the higher level games. i don't do much of the double reverse psychology stuff preflop. except for rare spots, when the blinds are large, all my moves look the same. most of the thinking players i've played with would see a trap like this a mile away i'd think, part of the small player pool problem.

just some random thoughts.

citanul
Old 05-31-2005, 03:25 PM

If a player I recognize limps for 1/4 of his stack UTG, I'm running for the hills.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a player I recognize limps for 1/4 of his stack UTG, I'm running for the hills.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.

same if they miniraise for 1/2 of their stack, or junk like that.

edit: if i know them to be a habitual minraiser or idiot limper, this all changes, clearly.

citanul
Old 05-31-2005, 03:27 PM

This and other posts here is a joke, right? Easy push.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:30 PM

...and good random thoughts cit.

I've done this exactly once, against a guy (whom I noted was 4-tabling) when I had AA. It worked wonderfully. However, AA certainly isn't QQ, and while I *think* I raise, SB rams any two, BB folds, I call with QQ is a good thing, I haven't ran the numbers. I'm definitely not pulling this with anything but QQ/KK/AA, and its probably more like only AA in practice. I just felt like making a reply that actually contained some thought given the question didn't contain any. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Another thought would be, if you don't do this at the 215s because you opponents read it for a monster, have you considered doing it with junk? (forget this case, BB is way too short) I have often wondered if there are situations where a min raise actually has more FE than a push...
Old 05-31-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This and other posts here is a joke, right? Easy push.

[/ QUOTE ]

do note, the post you responded to is talking about another situation entirely than the one presented in the original post. clearly he couldn't be reacting to another player limping utg, as in the op's hand, he's utg.

also, to anyone and everyone who responds in this thread with "easy push," you should realize you're adding nothing to the conversation. clearly op knows that "hey, qq's really good, i should push." he's asking if have reasoning behind push or other plays they might make to try to get extra chips in the middle, etc.

citanul
Old 05-31-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and good random thoughts cit.

I've done this exactly once, against a guy (whom I noted was 4-tabling) when I had AA. It worked wonderfully. However, AA certainly isn't QQ, and while I *think* I raise, SB rams any two, BB folds, I call with QQ is a good thing, I haven't ran the numbers. I'm definitely not pulling this with anything but QQ/KK/AA, and its probably more like only AA in practice. I just felt like making a reply that actually contained some thought given the question didn't contain any. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Another thought would be, if you don't do this at the 215s because you opponents read it for a monster, have you considered doing it with junk? (forget this case, BB is way too short) I have often wondered if there are situations where a min raise actually has more FE than a push...

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, i've used small raises in odd spots for both reasons you cited,

a) semi-thinking player doesn't realize it's a trap and just continues to bully
b) use it to generate more folding equity than my standard pushes because it looks SO weird.

i think i mentioned that "except in rare cases" all my best look the same. the rare cases are there, and are usually there to exploit some kind of donkish play or the other that people to act behind me (or hey, some donk who limped sometimes) has evidenced himself to be capable of.

citanul
Old 05-31-2005, 03:33 PM

It's not a joke. I pushed, something bad happened, and I've been second guessing ever since. All input much appreciated.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a joke. I pushed, something bad happened, and I've been second guessing ever since. All input much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

to quell your mind, there's nothing wrong with pushing. some may advocate plays other than pushing as "even better," but pushing is good here. sometimes the guy with more chips than you has aces. it happens. just remember, it's all just downward variance.

pushing -> +EV, the only debate going on here is if there is something that is >+EV.

citanul
Old 05-31-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Results

SB had AJo, called, flop is AJ. The reason I've been second guessing is because I had a virtual lock on the money. With Big Stack behind me and a very short stack still in, I usually tighten up quite a lot. My first instinct here was to actually fold, but that lasted about 1/10,000 th of a second. JJ or TT would have taken me a bit longer.

Two follow-up questions, given you have a virtual lock on the money.

1. If you knew SB had AJo, would you still push?
2. If you knew he would call, would you still push?

I believe if I was certain of 2, I wouldn't push, even if I'm a fairly big favorite. Is that wrong?

If I understand correctly, Eastbay's program would solve this, and I may get it sometime, but I'm still a relative noob to SnG, and am not ready to spend that much yet. Started about a year ago, but just recently came back and have about 400 total at mostly 11 with some 22.