Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Getting a coach or private poker lessons. Do you think you need one?

I briefly mentioned a little while back in the SS section about how a lot of players are doing well and successfully well based on a lot of the literature that currently available on the subject of poker.

Now, one of the things I rarely seen mentioned in any of the threads is the subject of coaching. There is perhaps a double edged sword to this particular area. Perhaps no one on these boards feel they would like to admit they need someone to really help their game. So instead we opt to share our experiences here and hopefully gain some insight. Yes, there are many great posters on these boards and every piece of advice, insight, heck even the insults is money in our pockets and helps us improve our game.

Likewise, perhaps some of the very experts on these boards do no wish to solicit (perhaps it's in the Twoplustwo Terms of Service Agreement?!?) such opportunities to market themselves here on these boards.

I am seriously leaning towards putting a good chunk of winnings (how much is yet to be determined depending on who I find) towards getting a solid expert player to help with my game. Objectively speaking I think I am a strong player, but I really want to increase my play and skill up a couple of notches. No book is going to help me do that and no posts on these boards are going to either. I strongly believe it is well worth the investment to find a good coach because of what it can do for my EV in the long run.

This is of course not going to be cheap, but then again most of us here have went to some post secondary institution of some kind and have forked out thousands for a degree/diploma all in the hopes of entering the labor force making a yearly salary. We continue to spend more on education (certifications, designations, upgrade courses) that for the most part only marginally increase our wages/salaries. There are even some cases where it's mandatory to learn more just to keep the job!

So for me, I find it's a no brainer, to find an expert poker player to guide my game to the next level. It's just
good poker sense and a worthy education.

Now who am I leaning towards? Well I have a list built up and yes there are a few on these boards that I have selected.

All comments and suggestions welcome.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Getting a coach or private poker lessons. Do you think you need one?

I wrote a thread a while back about coaching and mentoring, yet did not get much replies on the subject. I happen to be quite interested to have someone help me get my skills up.

Thumbs up on the thread and I hope we get some interesting replies going.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Getting a coach or private poker lessons. Do you think you need one?

I think the most intelligent part of your post was realizing it would take a substantial amount of money. If a person can’t make more than $200 an hour playing poker online he can't take me to that next level. I suppose there are people that could teach it but can only play one table that could be had cheaper but how would you know. I've though about this also, but how do you know whom to get. I act as a mentor to my dad for free. I watch his hands occasionally, he watches mine occasionally. Mostly we talk about how to approach different situations, which is no different than what goes on in these forums everyday. I guess what I really need to do is post more strategy questions like those or search more for the prior ones. It would be great to have a world class player review my game and give me a few pointers and have it significantly help my game but I'm not sure it works that way. I have gradually helped my dad, but he's done it for himself far more. If you find someone and have a really good experience let me know, because I am interested in the idea. I just don't know who could do that for me, don't really want to spend $10,000 for 50 hours of his time, and don't know if he would tell me any problems with my game I didn't already know about. Clearly I'm rambling so I will stop here [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2004, 01:32 PM

I would love to have somebody over my shoulder for a few hours. The problem with some of the coaches that offer to help over the phone or email (for me, at least), is that they want to look at problem hands (hand histories) or hear specific problems. I'm too obtuse (or dense) to know my real problems. I can't pull out a bunch of specific hand histories and say "here they are, help me." I hope you find someone, and I will be interested in hearing how you feel they have improved your game.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2004, 01:34 PM

I think a poker coach can be invaluable if it's the right person. Unfortunately, the right person is usually neither available nor affordable.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:37 PM

They do have poker school online, don't know anything about them though.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:12 PM

One thing that may help you is watching a better players hand histories on a replayer. If you think what you would do each step before u see what they do it is real obviose what the differences in play are. Basically your standing over his shoulder instead of him standing over yours. Also, since it takes very little input from the other player it should be easier to get the histories to study on your own than to get the experts time and advise. I did this with sng's and it went a long way in conferming what I was doing right and pointing out the things to work on.

Steve
Old 10-16-2004, 05:14 PM

balki is a good coach.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:03 PM

That is a very good idea IMO.
Do they charge for their hand histories ?
How do you get those ?
Old 10-16-2004, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is a very good idea IMO.
Do they charge for their hand histories ?
How do you get those ?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good idea. A similar idea I had was to ask some of the better players here to post a consecutive series of hands (~50 or so, maybe 10 at a time). I hadn't asked, though, because, well it seems like a lot to ask....