Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 02:06 PM

Default 88, passively played?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds.

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

I had button tagged as a loose bettor.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: 88, passively played?

well preflop is fine

noway you can bet into 6villians without a set, and 2overcards on the board

I don't like the turn call its crappy odds, and there are 3ppl left to act after you

what's the thought process behind the river bet, if he's a loose bettor check/call he'll bet his 7's, 66,55,44,33 and maybe some Khigh hands .. alot of those he prob won't call with

and you don't open yourself up to a raise .. which you have to fold to

but just fold the turn and save the headache
Old 04-17-2005, 02:23 PM

I'm also loosing too much money in situations like this. Especially when everyone is so passive I get a false sense of security.

Is it a good rule of thumb to always simply fold small pairs when you don't flop a set and have 1 or 2 overcards?
Old 04-17-2005, 02:47 PM

Disclaimer 1: I'm posting in the dark.
Disclaimer 2: Missed middle pocket pairs are probably my weakest type of hand currently. One of the reasons that I'm posting is that I'm entirely unconfident and hope to learn more by pitching in.

I'd be tempted to check the flop to wait for a safe turn card. Now that you hit it, I'd take a shot and lead the turn. It was checked around (twice by the ep guys), so there's a chance you have the best, but a very vulnerable hand. Seems like betting adds value and protects against hands like KQ-K10.

If it's raised back to me by a reasonable LP opponent, I'd be tempted to fold it, since it won't be worth chasing someone in the likely small pot.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:54 PM

any reads on Button? this looks like a possible steal attempt to me.

i don't think i could bet out the turn with so many still behind, but i think i'd c/r. most have folded, so try to get the rest to fold and get a possible bluffer HU.

since it is HU, i'd bet the river too. but if you're going to play this passively, call down, he isn't likely folding the river at this point.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:54 PM

I don't like it. Unless button has a 7 or low poc pair or is completely bluffing, you are drawing to 2 outs. On the turn you should only be considering two options.

1) Betting out
You may have the best hand but it is still venerable and you need to charge other hands (like KQ, QJ etc) to try to draw out.

2) Check/folding
This is probably the line I would take. The field is huge and tons of micro players will have checked Ax on the flop because they have a low kicker. Someone with a 9 will have also checked the flop because they fear someone has an Ace. Because the field is so large and the pot is relatively small, I would fold the turn.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also loosing too much money in situations like this. Especially when everyone is so passive I get a false sense of security.

Is it a good rule of thumb to always simply fold small pairs when you don't flop a set and have 1 or 2 overcards?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The rule of thumb is to fold to any aggression, but you can't keep seeing monsters. It is possible that the flops missed everyone.

The villian would have bet a 9 on the flop, so we've probably got the best hand. I bet here hoping to fold most the field. If we do get raised, I'm probably dropping it.