Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: The Bird Flu Pandemic

Meant to add, there is no reason why the government shouldn't give liability protection for companies wanting to make low cost respirators for emergencies like this. Talk to your wife flynn. Get on this.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sanitation here in the US might be great, but not in other countries...In China, people sleep with the chickens in their pen so that no one steals there chickens. That means they probably eat around them, possibley don't wash their hands after handleing the chickens...In Romainia, there was a quanrantine because all the birds had the virus...to get in or out of the city, you have to walk through a pond of disinfectant. when this old guy was walking through, he lets out a chicken from under his shirt that he was trying to sneak in...just stupid stuff like this is going to allow this virus to get out..not to mention that birds FLY all over the world...and this virus is different because humans don't have any immunity built up. most viruses are a mix between human and animal viruses...the avain flu crossed the human barrier intact, meaning that we havne't had time to built up immunity...
also, this virus starts with similar symptoms of the common flu...people aren't going to rush to the hospital to get treated, and therefore, are going to spread it around...
so no, it hasn't actually been transmitted from human to human, but there is a high chance that it will be able to...it's just a matter of time

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? In China, people sleep in the pens where they store their chickens? Where did you read/see this? That sounds like blatant bs to me.

Its also amazing how many "..." multiple dot-dot-dots you fit in your post. You might want to use regular periods at the end of your sentences.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:45 PM

I've been thinking of this since reading the following article in the latest Scientific American. It's some scary [censored]!
Scientific American
Old 11-18-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meant to add, there is no reason why the government shouldn't give liability protection for companies wanting to make low cost respirators for emergencies like this. Talk to your wife flynn. Get on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck getting that done. You could build your own, but between the FDA and especially the trial lawyers it seems unlikely you could get Congress to act.

My wife is a diehard crusader for good, but she knows what a windmill is.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes. Makes you think about your friends doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

With an electric motor, some flexible tubing, and an ambu bag I'd make my own respirator. Seriously, there is no reason why a respirator should be expensive or in short supply. Yes they won't be as good as the uber expensive hospital ones are, and it might not have all of the electronic alarms and such, but I'd put good money on my ability to make one that was almost as reliable from parts obtained from home depo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is awesome. If the pandemic hits, please get on it and post specs here.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh? In China, people sleep in the pens where they store their chickens? Where did you read/see this? That sounds like blatant bs to me.

Its also amazing how many "..." multiple dot-dot-dots you fit in your post. You might want to use regular periods at the end of your sentences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno if it is common ... but if you have a tv ... you can see lots of pictures of same ....
Old 11-18-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno if it is common ... but if you have a tv ... you can see lots of pictures of same ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont think so... I turn on closed-caption a lot... not that many ... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2005, 02:15 AM

Vaccinations are temporary especially to rapidly mutating virii. There's no HIV vaccination is there?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With an electric motor, some flexible tubing, and an ambu bag I'd make my own respirator. Seriously, there is no reason why a respirator should be expensive or in short supply. Yes they won't be as good as the uber expensive hospital ones are, and it might not have all of the electronic alarms and such, but I'd put good money on my ability to make one that was almost as reliable from parts obtained from home depo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should post plans. I'm technically proficient enough to make anything fitting this description, and if it doesn't work I promise I'll be too dead to sue.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tamiflu would reduce your chances of dying somewhat. There will not be anywhere near enough of it

[/ QUOTE ]

can you acquire it now, before this potentially starts?
does it require special storage conditions?
how quick does it expire?