Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 01:16 AM

Default One of my flaws.

I think one of my biggest leaks in this game, is I bluffraise a river bet once in a blue moon. I've done it about 3 times in 15k hands. How often do you guys pull this move? I'm sure I am missing out on a lot of profit here.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: One of my flaws.

It's very rare that I do it. One of the biggest problems with bluffraising the river is that you have to get to the river first, and in that event, it's pretty rare that the board will be conducive to the bluff working.

I doubt that you're missing out on much profit by not bluffraising the river very often.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:32 AM

i do it sometimes. i dont think its very profitable too often. its fun though. i mainly only do it against observant players bc if i get caught now i get looked up more. ideally. not that anyone is paying attention. or can fold. which is why it doesnt seem profitable.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:39 AM

What do you think are the benefits of bluff-raising the river? I can see two:
- (1) You sometimes steal the pot. (Duh.)
- (2) You force people to pay off your value raises.

From a game theory perspective, item #2 is the crucial one (because if you only raise for value people can fold correctly.) HOWEVER in almost all low/mid-limit games it would be -EV to try to employ such a strategy, because people pay you off too much anyways.

So I would just focus on #1, using hand-reading to determine when you can probably steal the pot. Unsurprisingly, since people never fold, this will almost never happen. Personally I cannot think of a single hand in recent memory where I made a river bluff-raise. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

One thing I do sometimes, however, is raise the river when a draw hits even though my hand is likely second-best. (Assuming of course my play has actually represented the draw.) This way even if the raise is called, I will still win sometimes.

An example of this play would be if you defended with something like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] against a TAG SB raise and the flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The SB bets, you raise, he re-raises. Turn is 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB bets, you call. River is 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he bets, you raise.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:58 AM

I do this too, but it is always for value. For examples i have QQ on a K35 with 2 spades board. i get checkraised so I decide to call down. River is the K spade. In position I raise this for value.