Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Road to the 5/10

Ok, so how much work could it take for a beginner to be making 1.5 to 2 BB/100 at the 5/10? Assume this person is a quicker than average learner.

I know O8 is an easy game to become good at, but a hard game to master. What sort of skill level is required at 5/10 and 10/20? Are the skill level jumps level for these stakes and below less than say HE(thx to the 'hard to master' and that it's a more complicated game for fish)?

For someone who has played sngs seriously, how would you compare the timeframe to get to intermediate level between the two? I know the skills are different, but O8 is rumored to be easy to pick up (like sngs)...
Old 04-29-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Road to the 5/10

I am consistently beating the 5-10 game after 6 months of fairly sustained intense effort to learn the game and play alot. I think i can beat the 10-20 game too but my results as yet don't prove that.

I think the main driver is bankroll, as there is plenty of bad play at 10-20 and sometimes its a softer game than 3-6.
It is usually tighter, more aggressive, and with better hands seen at showdown.

There is no doubt in my mind you could be winning at 5-10 in 6 months.
-g
Old 04-29-2005, 04:52 PM

I don't know where you plan on playing 5/10 but if it is Party skin you should work on your shorthanded skills as 6-max makes up the vast majority of their table offerings at that level. I think you can do well at this level if only because there are a pretty sizeable number of really bad players you can chase around and feed off of--at least for the moment. You may not always be able to take their money directly but even when they are hitting their hands you can often get a bounce effect when they put others at the table on tilt.

IMO, there are lots of borderline decisions on later streets in this 6-max game that mean the difference between being a consistent and sometimes big winner and just scraping by. Learning to analyze those situations and make those decisions depends on reading other players, odds analysis, dealing with LAGs, and to an extent knowing and taking advantage of your projected table image. Some of these skills take time to acquire, at least they did in my case but I was helped because I played my way up to 5/10 and 10/20 over a period of years and didn't just jump right into them and 'learn on the job'. Let us know how you do.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so how much work could it take for a beginner to be making 1.5 to 2 BB/100 at the 5/10? Assume this person is a quicker than average learner.

I know O8 is an easy game to become good at, but a hard game to master. What sort of skill level is required at 5/10 and 10/20? Are the skill level jumps level for these stakes and below less than say HE(thx to the 'hard to master' and that it's a more complicated game for fish)?

For someone who has played sngs seriously, how would you compare the timeframe to get to intermediate level between the two? I know the skills are different, but O8 is rumored to be easy to pick up (like sngs)...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-30-2005, 01:29 PM

"Let us know how you do."

I'll be hanging round here. I'd be able to play O8 as much as I wanted (poker is job) and it shouldn't take too long before I'm decent at 2/4 which I can comfortably live off (thanks 8tabling). So I'd say I'll be playing/reading 6-10hrs a day.

"if it is Party skin you should work on your shorthanded skills as 6-max makes up the vast majority of their table offerings"

I see what you mean. Especially since I'm going to be playing alot of tables. Might have to mix it up between 3/6 and 5/10, or 5/10 full and 5/10 6max.