Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 08:37 PM

Default PF decision vs. Maniac

I had a decision kinda like this last night. I'm going from memory so it's not exact...but it's pretty close.

Pretty passive table overall.
A couple of 30/0 players are to my left.

49/18 player in UTG or UTG+1 (maybe even MP1) raises.

I have AJo immediately to his left and 3-bet.

Thoughts??

This seems like a standard PF move to me based on my read of the raiser and my read of the general table texture...but I'm curious how much disagreement there is to this kind of play in such early position.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: PF decision vs. Maniac

every time
Old 01-20-2005, 09:15 PM

You have a veritable monster against the uber LAG and the uber passives. I'm not even sure its a bad thing if they both call. Just don't trap yourself into spewing chips trying to isolate the LAG post-flop when you miss and the calling stations refuse to go away.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:31 PM

right.

Reason I am posting is because some of my 'I thought this was standard aggression' type plays have drawn some unanimous 'dude...WTF were you thinking?' type of responses.

To me this is fairly standard but I'm still getting a decent feel for it so thanks for confirming that most other TAG's would do this.

FWIW - in the hand itself
It was heads-up.
he check-called the flop of Kxx and check-folded to another blank on the turn.

In a lot of these I would check it through with him on the river if another blank came (expecting maybe a pair or a low king) and I will take it often enough with AJ unimproved vs. his QJ or A9 or 98 unimproved or something.

These heads-up situations have been going REALLY WELL for me the past few days....so I'm trying to not get overly cocky because I know I've just been experiencing some terrific short-term luck.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:39 PM

It doesn't sound like luck, it sounds like you are winning the information war and using that info to choose who to attack and how to attack them.

I like your line on a K hi flop, including the plan to check behind on the river because against that type of opponent who didn't throw in a raise you still have a strong showdown hand. I find it a little more difficult with a flop like QT8 or 973 two tone. You just never know where you are at, with the exception that you know he is going to pop the turn if he has any pair or draw and he's often just aware enough of how you might view him to make a move with nothing on a ragged board.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:09 AM

3bet vs lags, fold to tags, coldcalling is the worst of all 3.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:28 AM

I want to know what his ASB stat and raising from button. Many players with high PFR don't raise trash UTG-MPs but highly overplay trash when have position like CO,MP3,BTN.

If i see his ASB at 58% i would muck AJo here, but raise AQo. If i see his ASB at 28%-35% or lesser i 3-bet here AJo.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:35 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I don't like it. on the button, even with 2 loose blinds, I'd do it. but there's too much of a chance you end up in a 5-way capped pot out of position with AJo. in a multiway pot, even if you have him dominated, you're not in such good shape against the range of everyone else's hands.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:17 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
3bet vs lags, fold to tags, coldcalling is the worst of all 3

[/ QUOTE ]

folding ace jack here is much worse than cold calling. everybody needs to get over this garbage. also to the original post you're shutting out the non-online players from responding by posting 'in code'.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
folding ace jack here is much worse than cold calling. everybody needs to get over this garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]