Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 12:07 AM

Default A9s 2 pair

reads: BB just say down and CO is 67/0/0 (he doesnt fold)

My flawed thinking told me this was a protected pot since CO doesnt fold.
I didnt consider the BB didnt know it was a protected pot since he just sat down.
I was thinking he was thinking that CO was calling with anything so a bluff was impossible and he was trying to protect his small flush.
Moral is I guess to realize not only did I not have a read, but he didnt either. Seems obvious enough.
Feel free to rate my stupidity with your feedback.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4.00 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO calls, Hero folds.

River: (8.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: A9s 2 pair

You're getting an immediate 8.5 to 1 after the turn raise, so if you knew you were up against a made flush, you would not have an easy fold. (You should be able to win some bets on the river when you fill up.)

Anyway, though, BB didn't have to call a raise preflop and could have started with any two cards. And while his flop call somewhat decreases the chances that he has 93 or J3, we can't rule those hands out, and A3 is also possible. So is a slowplayed J9.

Based on your description, it sounds like what BB really had was something like K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. In any event, I agree with you that you shouldn't have folded.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:54 AM

consider raising preflop. you should have a sizable edge even out-of-position.

folding the turn is terrible. this is a big draw or made hand with a flush redraw (i.e. A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) a ton. the 'protected pot' concept has no bearing here, and would mean little on a 3-flush board anyway. easy call, planning to bet/fold a non-heart river (else check/fold).
Old 11-19-2005, 02:56 AM

I will consider raising preflop for sure next time. I agree folding the turn was bad, thats why I posted. Thanks for all your feed back.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:54 AM

You thought too deeply here, most people dont consider things like you do, the BB is probably raising this turn cuz he likes his hand which usually means two pair or better, it doesnt mean flush or better, so you can still easily have the best hand, so just call down unless you improve. Folding this turn was a big mistake, And I know you know that so you can move on and never make this mistake again. Also, your play to just call preflop is the correct line. Raising A9s preflop from the small blind in this situation is not a good idea at all, you will be out of position against 2 or 3 opponents, one of which never folds, so your raise gives you no postflop folding equity, something that is extremely important when your out of position against 2 or 3 opponents with a hand like A9s that usually misses the flop very badly(meaning when you miss, you usually dont even have both your overcard outs to count on)
Old 11-19-2005, 05:12 AM

That is the exact reason I didnt raise.
I was very confident about playing the call station post flop and I realized that he wasnt going to fold after limping.
I don't make a habit of building pots out of position. The reason I will consider it in the future is specifically to get HU with an opponent I know I can out play.
Generally I want opponents I can push around post flop to make that type of move.
I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is the exact reason I didnt raise.
I was very confident about playing the call station post flop and I realized that he wasnt going to fold after limping.
I don't make a habit of building pots out of position. The reason I will consider it in the future is specifically to get HU with an opponent I know I can out play.
Generally I want opponents I can push around post flop to make that type of move.
I appreciate all the feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]
Theres nothing wrong with buiding pots out of position. Like for instance, say you were in the SB with a hand like JTs,QJs or a hand like A9s and 6 people limp in, now it would be correct to raise your hand simply becuz you have an equity edge and your hand plays well multi-way. And if you flop nothing you can just check and fold since you cant bluff a million people out of the pot. And like you mentioned if one loose person limps in and youre in the small blind with A9s and you think the BB will fold, it would be correct to raise and force the BB out of the hand and get heads up. But if you thought the BB would call your raise then once again you would be better off just calling preflop.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:08 AM

Yeah I realize raising with big suited connectors from the SB BB can be ok in big multiway pots to entice people to go further when you do flop a hand.
This doesnt apply here in any case.