Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Good Time To Break Out The Checkraise?

Not sure what he has, but this player has a wide range of hands he'll bet the turn with when I check to him. Thoughts on the c/r and riverbet?

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (2 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Button posts a blind of $30.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button (poster) calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

River: (7 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 05-13-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Good Time To Break Out The Checkraise?

I really like the bet-the-flop, checkraise-the-turn move against an aggro player HU.

The one problem is that you may have bet a weak A into submission, but the line strikes players as odd and almost impossible for it to be an ace and you'll get calldowns from inferior hands. This is nice too because (especially if / when you win at showdown here) you can pull this move with a set or 2 pair at a later time and get action then, too.

Surf
Old 05-13-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one problem is that you may have bet a weak A into submission

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh?? This is the best thing about the line.

nh bruiser
Old 05-13-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh?? This is the best thing about the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't explain my thoughts about this correctly - it's great that villain will fail to punish us with a better hand, it's just that we don't know whether he will fold a pair less than an A or not.

If he gives bruiser the respect for the A and folds 5s and 7s on the turn the only thing he's calling us with is the A. Therefore, check-call to give him a chance to bet away his weaker holdings is preferable.

Surf
Old 05-13-2005, 11:00 PM

surfbullet you say i'll get calls from worse hands cause it's supicious but not too many hands that will call a raise preflop will hit this board of an ace and lowcards unless it's the ace he hit... so what worse hands pay me off?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:05 PM

It's 2 handed so i'm assuming his calling standards are very near any 2 cards, so hitting one of the low cards is not out of the question. He'll usually call down these despite(or in spite of?) the turn c/r.

My one caveat was that if it is *not* the case that he'll call down with these small made hands then we are costing ourself $ because we shut out his bluffing hands and let him call with hands that beat us.

Surf
Old 05-13-2005, 11:06 PM

i like that and if he's bluffing gives him a chance to do it again on the river