Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: By U.S. standards are you right or left of center
Left 17 40.48%
Right 15 35.71%
middle of the road baby 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Would you consider this to be an insult?

I made a thread in the WPT forum about a black female player, saying she should be referred to as H-DOG for Human Delay Of Game. It was deleted by a moderator for being "insulting", who said that he always deletes insulting threads(....). Either way, I didn't post it as an insult, I posted it as a funny-descriptive way to identify a player who we will likely be seeing a LOT of come ESPN WSOP season. The fact that she is a female and black had NOTHING to do with my post; if it were Burt Rice instead, I;d have posted the same thing. Looking for opinions on the matter, and since this is News, VIEWS, and GOSSIP, I'd say this is the proper forum for this, but I guess time will tell. If this is insulting, methinks E-Dog may need some explaining to then.

anywho, on to the poll;
Old 07-14-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Would you consider this to be an insult?

Of course it's insulting, but I can see no race or gender basis.

What I find appalling are the many negative characterizations of her that ARE based in race, gender or attractiveness. If you are a man, you've gotta be X-22 before people start busting on your looks. If you are a woman and fall shy of Shannon Elizabeth, you are busted on mercilessly.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are a man, you've gotta be X-22 before people start busting on your looks. If you are a woman and fall shy of Shannon Elizabeth, you are busted on mercilessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. I agree.

Imagine if X-22 were a woman.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:29 AM

i dont know why she is a human delay of game and i dont really care. to be honest, i dont think polls like this need to be created and i dont think that topics need to be formed about your thoughts on a poker player, albeit humorous.

we have more members than ever before and i think as an attempt to unclutter the forums us veteran posters have to stop posting random crap if we expect the same from others.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont know why she is a human delay of game and i dont really care. to be honest, i dont think polls like this need to be created and i dont think that topics need to be formed about your thoughts on a poker player, albeit humorous.

we have more members than ever before and i think as an attempt to unclutter the forums us veteran posters have to stop posting random crap if we expect the same from others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Topics don't need to be posted on on my thoughts on a poker player? I'm sorry, I thought this was a DISCUSSION forum, and the News, VIEWS and GOSSIP forum. EVERYTHING is random crap, including any dissertation on how to play AKo to a minraise out of position in a 10-20 NL game.

P.S. If you watch any of the WSOP later, you will find out why she is a Human Delay Of Game. A conservative estimate put the # of times the clock has been put on her the tournament at 80.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:17 AM

***STAMP***
Old 07-14-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I find appalling are the many negative characterizations of her that ARE based in race, gender or attractiveness. If you are a man, you've gotta be X-22 before people start busting on your looks. If you are a woman and fall shy of Shannon Elizabeth, you are busted on mercilessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm missing something here. Why is this appalling?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm missing something here. Why is this appalling?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't know why it is appalling that someone is being negatively characterized according to race, gender or attractiveness, you are either incredibly dense, or have been spending too much time in OOT.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are a man, you've gotta be X-22 before people start busting on your looks. If you are a woman and fall shy of Shannon Elizabeth, you are busted on mercilessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't know why it is appalling that someone is being negatively characterized according to race, gender or attractiveness, you are either incredibly dense, or have been spending too much time in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was really about looks & gender, not race. But yea. I definitely prefer to be around hot chicks. Why would I want to be around ugly ones? If you say that a woman's looks are completely unimportant to you, then you're just a liar, whether it's to yourself or just everyone else.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This was really about looks & gender, not race. But yea. I definitely prefer to be around hot chicks. Why would I want to be around ugly ones? If you say that a woman's looks are completely unimportant to you, then you're just a liar, whether it's to yourself or just everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above, but it stops short of the main issue. Your attitude about anyone, particularly soneone of the opposite sex, is always going to be influenced by their physical appearance.

The point is that anyone with any maturity and class does not make derogatory remarks about another's looks, particularly in a public forum where that person might see them. It is hurtful, it is pointless, and it is high-school crap.

BTW, it's true the other way too. News flash for all you horny 17 year olds out there: no one cares who you would or would not "hit".