Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 08:14 AM

Default An attempt to steal

Villain is 24/13/2.6

Party Poker 10.00/20.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB.

I need to fold the turn here, right?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: An attempt to steal

No. 5x, flush draws and worse 7s will checkraise the flop if you think he will CR with an OESD. Call down.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 AM

3-bet the flop.

If you really don't know how to handle a turn check-raise (likely against this guy) just check that scary turn and call a river bet. This is arguable play (giving out free cards) but sometimes at these crazy short-handed games I really think you've got to get to showdown for metagame considerations. Also, he will bet the river anyway with 95% of his hands, and in this way charge himself for the freecard you just gave him.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:44 AM

I like to 3-bet these flops to gain control, but barring that your lines ok.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:05 AM

are u betting the river as well if u 3bet and he just calls? Also, are u folding to a turn c/r?

My answer one the first one depends (sometimes I check the river a little much in a close situation), the second question I do fold to a turn c/r if I 3bet the flop.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to 3-bet these flops to gain control, but barring that your lines ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this at 5/10, but I was wondering if the line is as good at 10/20. At 5/10, it seems that very few people on a draw will cap the flop. But I was speculating that such a play might be a lot more common at 10/20, which perhaps would justify simply calling down.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:15 PM

It's obviously opponent specific, but if I know he's willing to cap the flop with just a draw then I still probably have more equity than his hand range does. Therefore, in the long run we are gaining from the extra bets in the pot (against such a player).
Old 12-13-2005, 12:24 PM

i 3 bet the flop - if he calls i reckon i am a favourite to bet the turn and when i do i am a bigger favourite to fold to a raise

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 12-13-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's obviously opponent specific, but if I know he's willing to cap the flop with just a draw then I still probably have more equity than his hand range does. Therefore, in the long run we are gaining from the extra bets in the pot (against such a player).

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense once you know that a player is capable of capping a draw. But my real question, I guess, is whether such a play is "common" at 10/20? And if fairly common, does that mean that just calling down might be better against a complete unknown 10/20 player?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 PM

I think we can figure our hand to be good the majority of the time, but given the scary board we want to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. I would 3-bet the flop, and check behind on most turns, especially with the 4 on the turn, and plan on calling a river bet. If he caps the flop, then i fold UI on the turn.

Although, calling down is not bad either, because this seems like a very aggressive opponent who may just be trying to run you over.