Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Maria Full of Grace

[ QUOTE ]
I will never, ever, as long as I live, vote for any candidate who doesn't fully endorse abandoning the insane drug war.

Welcome to the Green Party [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-30-2005, 08:47 PM

You don't even need links. Do this:

1) Hang with your friends on the weekends and smoke a few joints.

2) Note that your health isn't impaired, you're not getting hooked on "harder" drugs, you're not getting slipped PCP, and you're not shooting people or running children over in the drive-thru. You're just chilling out and enjoying music and cookies.

3) Realize that the only reason that it costs so much is because it is illegal, and realize that the penalties for possession are severe, despite the fact that there are no victims, and it's not dangerous.

4) Realize that any government willing to impose brutal punishment on people for doing something with no negative social reprocussions, aside from those related to its legality, and spend a LOT of your tax dollars doing it, does NOT have the people's best interests in mind.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:01 PM

a big reason why its in the govt interest to keep the current drug policy is there is not way for business to profit from it and tax it.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a big reason why its in the govt interest to keep the current drug policy is there is not way for business to profit from it and tax it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh...yeah, cuz right now it's illegal. Take that away and you think there won't be businesses lined up to take advantage? What do you think happens with cigs and booze?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure?

Legalize, regulate, and tax marijuana products. The government gets extra tax dollars and saves the money used to prosecute people for it. The economy benefits because of the ENORMOUS savings people have to spend on other things. The citizens enjoy cheaper, better quality weed and aren't worried about getting busted.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It isnt in the government's interest to keep the drug laws at all. It only costs them huge amounts of money. It is in the interest of politicians to keep the current drug laws since they are used as away to seem tough on crime without actually doing anything. Plus the laws put people in jail that society doesnt want anyways, so the constituents like it.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen this movie. But I know nothing on the drug war. Anyone care to share some knowledge or a link here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read these two blogs everyday.

Drug War Rant at:
http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/

The Agitator at
www.theagitator.com

You'll be astonished.

natedogg
Old 12-01-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It isnt in the government's interest to keep the drug laws at all. It only costs them huge amounts of money. It is in the interest of politicians to keep the current drug laws since they are used as away to seem tough on crime without actually doing anything. Plus the laws put people in jail that society doesnt want anyways, so the constituents like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are thousands of well-payed government employees who stand to lose their livelyhood if drugs are legalized. They are in fear for their jobs over this and they have powerful friends like rep. senesnbrenner.

Also, the DEA is eyeing birth control as the next drug to go after. They are not kidding.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Mexico Next Columbia

[ QUOTE ]
I also saw this movie and was very disturbed. Perhaps us americans should think before using coke. Funny thing is, I spent time in Colombia as a kid and found it to be very wealthy. The Bogota airport is full of educated people walking around with american dollars to spare. If you wanna see a real poor and dangerous hell hole, go next door to Venezuela....talk about a disorganized culture and country.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, Bogota is statistically the mose dangerous city in the world. Regardless if this is indeed technically the case I know that Columbia is totally [censored] up, politically and economically. Most remote areas in the country are totally lawless for christ's sake.

Venezuela is in infinitely better shape than Columbia. Indy, your statement is grossly misinformed.

Oh, I agree 100% with the OP.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Mexico Next Columbia

xadrez,

I have also heard of these statistics to which you refer but time and time again I am baffled. Bogota was soooooo much cleaner than Caracas, the people could speak english, and they are all walking around with American dollars. Now, I don't know what you mean by dangerous, but I have lived in Venezuela and I can personally tell you that it is not as nice as Colombia. In fact, the economy in Venezuela is controlled by about 50 Colombian familias and only a few Venezuelan familias.

Indy