Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: true believers or true hypocrites?

[ QUOTE ]
Chomsky was a surprise. I never read his books (if he turns them out that fast how good can they be), but I figured he was such a disheveled commie kook he must be living his line. Guess not.

[/ QUOTE ]

No surprise to me. Zeno had him pegged a long time ago when he referred to him as a charlatan[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, what big-name communists (though Chomsky technically isn't) have EVER lived their preached ideals? None that I can think of.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:42 PM

I know. But I kinduv saw him in the disheveled humanities professor that wanders around campus image. I've never seen his picture.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:20 PM

That biased MSM just won't tell us the truth.

Thank goodness we've got the NRO to give it to us straight.

I think my head might explode if I see another "biased media!" story. Anytime "MSM" appears in an article, my mouse, due to some strange reflex, immediately reaches for the "X" in the top right corner. I wish I could just avert my eyes faster. I think I might just poke my eyes out next time.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"It's another reminder that the ideas the left want to impose on the rest of us are so fundamentally bad that they don't even try to live by them. ... {the ideas} don't work for the leading lights of the Left. How could they possibly work for our country?"

[/ QUOTE ]

What's exactly the left? An association? A group of anti-war people? Communists?

And what exactly are the ideas of the left? It's like a group of 3 or 4 ideas?

I find the statement a little vague, but maybe that is why you find it "nice"

Lets do the following

Is it possible to fill the lines with a different word ?

"It's another reminder that the ideas the ________ want to impose on the rest of us are so fundamentally bad that they don't even try to live by them. ... {the ideas} don't work for the leading lights of the _________. How could they possibly work for our country?"
Old 10-29-2005, 12:50 AM

No one else thinks that this is more a problem of the upper crusty elite than either side? That both sides are loaded with hypocrites is obvious. It's an embarassment to political debate that some people would imply that one side is substantially more hypocritical. It seems to me that our typical New England bred Yale-by-nepotism politician is the source of hypocrisy, not the right or left.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:02 AM

The left can't live by thier own economic rules.
The right can't live by thier societal own rules.
Maybe because those rules are bullshit.

The only group that isn't hypocritical and the ones that don't advocate restrictive laws and controls over human behaivor.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"It's another reminder that the ideas the left want to impose on the rest of us are so fundamentally bad that they don't even try to live by them. ... {the ideas} don't work for the leading lights of the Left. How could they possibly work for our country?"

[/ QUOTE ]

What's exactly the left? An association? A group of anti-war people? Communists?

And what exactly are the ideas of the left? It's like a group of 3 or 4 ideas?

I find the statement a little vague, but maybe that is why you find it "nice"

Lets do the following

Is it possible to fill the lines with a different word ?

"It's another reminder that the ideas the ________ want to impose on the rest of us are so fundamentally bad that they don't even try to live by them. ... {the ideas} don't work for the leading lights of the _________. How could they possibly work for our country?"

[/ QUOTE ]

My definition of the left:

Someone for whom good intentions trump facts and actual results. Someone who thinks they knows what's best for the rest of us, and will feel righteous about coercing us to do it. Someone who doesn't know a damn thing about basic economics.

That pretty much sums it up.

natedogg
Old 10-29-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Someone for whom good intentions trump facts and actual results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this describe anyone with convictions? I don't think the left has cornered the market on this.

[ QUOTE ]
Someone who thinks they knows what's best for the rest of us, and will feel righteous about coercing us to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's Pat Robertson? Jerry Falwell? James Dobson?

[ QUOTE ]
Someone who doesn't know a damn thing about basic economics.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably describes 99% of Americans.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Someone for whom good intentions trump facts and actual results. Someone who thinks they knows what's best for the rest of us, and will feel righteous about coercing us to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just described our current president, his adivsors, his cabinet, and most of congress. (Political parties notwithstanding of course). And, actually your paragraph describes the christian coaltion and the religious right much more than the supposed "left".
Old 10-29-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Someone for whom good intentions trump facts and actual results. Someone who thinks they knows what's best for the rest of us, and will feel righteous about coercing us to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just described our current president, his adivsors, his cabinet, and most of congress. (Political parties notwithstanding of course). And, actually your paragraph describes the christian coaltion and the religious right much more than the supposed "left".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think Bush is a leftist.

natedogg