Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 05:34 PM

Default beating the thinking loose caller

Every once in a while I get a regular opponent who starts calling all my raises and driving me crazy. There's a thinking LAG in my game right now who likes to see a ton of flops with some thin hands (I just saw "her" drag a big pot with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for 7xbb preflop.) Anyway, she'll call with a lot of hands, take some cards off, make moves at the pot if she senses weakness, the works. I'm wondering if you all have suggestions for how to deal with this play.

Right now, I'm thinking, get position, keep pots small unless I have 2 pair or better, and rely on my better starting hands to eventually win out.

Hero has a solid tight/aggressive image for those who pay attention, no doubt including LAG.

$2/$5 NL game, we both tend to have at least $500 in front of us.

Sample hand #1

Couple limpers, hero ($900) makes it $25 from MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Villain ($900) calls from EP, everyone else folds.

Flop:

K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks, hero decides, small pot, and checks.

Turn:

T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain bets $30, hero calls.

River:

T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets $125, hero calls with sinking feeling, villain shows down K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Villain "With those stack sizes, of course I have to call."

Hero: "And look how much money you made, with just about the perfect situation!"

Sample hand #2

Several limpers. Hero raises to $25 from the button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Only villain calls from SB.

Flop:

T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Hero bets $50 into a $60 pot, villain min-raises to $100, hero calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain checks, hero bets $150, villain folds.

Hero: "So my 7s were good?"

Villain does not answer.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: beating the thinking loose caller

First hand is pretty horrible I hope you know. You gave her the free card to beat you. My advice is bet out your top and better hands and then check through everything else, even draws. If she's gonna let you take free cards then take em.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First hand is pretty horrible I hope you know. You gave her the free card to beat you. My advice is bet out your top and better hands and then check through everything else, even draws. If she's gonna let you take free cards then take em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that it's horrible. I don't fear overcards. It's not a huge pot, and she's got 3 outs at best to improve.

And if I check, she's probably firing on the turn with any two, which I welcome. Plus now she knows that I'll check TPTK so she can't always steal when I check.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:35 PM

I like hand #1. Suckouts happen but this was played to perfection IMO.

Hand # 2 also looks good.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain "With those stack sizes, of course I have to call."

Hero: "And look how much money you made, with just about the perfect situation!"

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero: "So my 7s were good?"

Villain does not answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're not cool
Old 04-16-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree that it's horrible. I don't fear overcards. It's not a huge pot, and she's got 3 outs at best to improve.

And if I check, she's probably firing on the turn with any two, which I welcome. Plus now she knows that I'll check TPTK so she can't always steal when I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. TPTK on a pretty harmless board, no problem checking every once in a while against thinking opponents...
Old 04-16-2005, 08:44 PM

hand 1 is fine. you wanted a smallish pot, and you pretty much got it relative to the strength of villians hand. well played.

hand 2 i would check the flop as well. i think you got lucky that villian was bluffing and didnt follow through with the checkraise. even if you think this player is really that ambitious to make moves like this out of position (which it seems she is), you can check the flop, maybe minraise her auto turn bet in hopes of a free showdown.

if you dont mind, what site do you play 2/5? pm is fine too
Old 04-16-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

very good answer....if you think further about the implications of what you have just said, keep in mind that you are not pot-committed on the river....if this opponent is aggressive and thinking, but not overly bluff-crazy, she might not be making a huge bet on the river with anything you beat.....part of the advantage of keeping the pot small is that it lets you get away from hands you'd normally be stuck to, but it requires making a lot of good reads....