Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Stepping in it w/ Axs

UTG+2, MP1, and BB are all very aggressive. MP1 is tight pf (17% VP$IP) but raises every hand he plays. Comments?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (15 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (9 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB folds.

River: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 01-22-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Stepping in it w/ Axs

i think you played it fine, as long as you plan to fold the flop if raised. looks like you got rivered by a set of kings though. tough luck
Old 01-22-2005, 07:28 PM

I fold this pf at 1/2. At .5/1 I play it.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you played it fine, as long as you plan to fold the flop if raised. looks like you got rivered by a set of kings though. tough luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are we folding to a flop raise? Getting almost 20:1 on our call, this sounds like a horrible plan.

Brad
Old 01-22-2005, 07:32 PM

I don't think there's anything he calls your river bet with that you beat, so check-calling seems better.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:54 PM

Calling preflop UTG with this type of hand and with that many aggressive players at the table is a mistake. This hand is only playable from early position at a table where raises are rareHowever, once you call, you are probably roped in for the rest.

Betting out at the flop isn't bad, but I would be very suspicious of any callers and fold to a raise. I could also check fold the flop, since I really want a flush draw with this hand and figure to be dominated by someone. I am really only worried about the BB and MP1, and I am suspicious of MP1's 3 bet (suspicious that it was out of irritation at being raised or something). I can't think of any hand that makes sense to limp reraise with callers and limpers. Maybe big suited cards, but I would want callers and wouldn't want to put them to 2 more bets.

I would also like to spoil MP1's probable slowplay by check calling the river to save a bet. MP1's preflop play is weird but I figure him for an AK that he was slowplaying or KK and hit his miracle 2 outer.

I probably turn off auto muck and show this hand for table image (even though it is usually worthless at Micro I still do it a little). It is just one more bet and you let them know you can't be bluffed (at least that is what you want them to think).
Old 01-22-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's anything he calls your river bet with that you beat, so check-calling seems better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like he'd call queens or jacks if he came this far with them, but there's many more winning hands that he'll call with. Enough that check-calling still seems valid. Anyone know the mathematical justification for the river bet?
Old 01-22-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like he'd call queens or jacks if he came this far with them, but there's many more winning hands that he'll call with. Enough that check-calling still seems valid. Anyone know the mathematical justification for the river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Question #1: What will this guy limp-reraise with? You say that he will raise almost anything he plays preflop. Why would he limp re-raise KK?

From his play, I can think of 3 possible hands. KK, QQ and JJ. AA, TT and AK probably would have done something earlier in the hand.

There are 3 combinations of KK. There are 6 of both QQ and JJ. Therefore, it is about 4:1 that you have him beat on the river. This is an easy river bet IMO.

Brad
Old 01-22-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could also check fold the flop, since I really want a flush draw with this hand and figure to be dominated by someone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not play any two suited cards then? Or at the very least, add Kxs to correspond to any Axs. The reason you play Axs is because the high card value can bail you out in situations where you don't get a flush, something that Kxs isn't as good at.

I think the hand is played fine on all streets.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question #1: What will this guy limp-reraise with? You say that he will raise almost anything he plays preflop. Why would he limp re-raise KK?

From his play, I can think of 3 possible hands. KK, QQ and JJ. AA, TT and AK probably would have done something earlier in the hand.

There are 3 combinations of KK. There are 6 of both QQ and JJ. Therefore, it is about 4:1 that you have him beat on the river. This is an easy river bet IMO.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad, you keep me coming back. Are you able to analyze like that on-the-fly?

That said, if I were playing this hand, my instinct would have been to bet that river having been shown no aggression after the flop to that point. It was only after really thinking hard about it that I came up with the bad advice I posted earlier [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].