Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Easy River Bet?

$5-$10 6-max online game. BB has about $2,300. I have $1,900 and Button has about $2,600. I didn't have a read on button, but I had raise a couple of hands post flop against BB and both times he had folded after leading into me on the flop or turn.

I open for $35 UTG with 99 (suits unimportant). Button and BB call. Pot is $110.

Flop is Q92r. BB checks. I lead for $70 (I had been leading at a lot of pots for slightly less than the pot). Button and BB call. Pot is $330.

Turn is J putting two spades up there. BB leads for $300. I raise to $1,000. Button folds and BB calls. Pot is now $2,330.

River is an 8 for a final board of Q92J8 with no flush possible. BB checks. I bet my last $800.

Thoughts on turn raise and river bet?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Easy River Bet?

Hey Phil,

[ QUOTE ]
$5-$10 6-max online game. BB has about $2,300. I have $1,900 and Button has about $2,600. I didn't have a read on button, but I had raise a couple of hands post flop against BB and both times he had folded after leading into me on the flop or turn.

I open for $35 UTG with 99 (suits unimportant). Button and BB call. Pot is $110.

Flop is Q92r. BB checks. I lead for $70 (I had been leading at a lot of pots for slightly less than the pot). Button and BB call. Pot is $330.

Turn is J putting two spades up there. BB leads for $300. I raise to $1,000. Button folds and BB calls. Pot is now $2,330.

River is an 8 for a final board of Q92J8 with no flush possible. BB checks. I bet my last $800.

Thoughts on turn raise and river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every street looks good, as long as that last $800 was going in on the river no matter what (as it appears that it was). Hope it worked out.

ML4L
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 PM

I like the push. I'm very confused as to the BB's line though, what would he call the flop on and then lead the turn? Maybe he thought you were buying it on the flop?? I stick it in here. You underbet the pot on the flop, so if he picked up an open ender on the turn why would he bet it again and risk getting raised when you might check it back and give him a free shot at a straight?

I think you win much more pushing every time than you save by checking and fearing the straight.

As for the turn raise, I make this every time. The button could very well have a draw, you need to push him out as well as charge the BB for his possible draw.

Nice play. I'm interested to see what the BB has.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:22 PM

Default RESULTS

I guess it was an easier river bet than I thought. When I raised the turn I thought he had a hand like QT, TJ, 9T or two pair.

When the 8 came on the river, I was obviously going to call an all-in bet from him, but was not sure if I should bet if checked too. After a little thinking, I realized if he has a T there is no way he is going to check to induce a bet from me as I don't have that much left and the pot is huge, so the fact he didn't push would make me thing he has 2 pair.

He called my river bet with J9 for turned 2 pair and MHWG.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:38 PM

A GREAT bet if he turned two pair. Most players would bet the str8 afraid you would ch behind them, so your bet looks very strong.