Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Just getting started -- Feedback greatly appreciated

Thanks for the help! Yes, I plan to start out in limit games and once I build a sound foundation I'll perhaps try some NL. First things first though.

You mention not getting playerview or gametime+ at first. Now, I'm not familiar with these, but it looks like they provide hand stats and whatnot. Will I be at a disadvantage if my opponents are using this stuff and I'm not? I imagine one can use this stuff as a crutch and not learn good fundamentals. Could you explain the use of these types of supplemental software a bit more?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:50 PM

gametime+ and playerview work in conjunction with pokertracker to give you real time opponents' stats, such as % of time they see the flop, % of time they raise preflop, etc...

with this info, you will know whether or not, with a hand such as KQ, you should re-raise an overly aggressive player, or whether to fold it.

when starting out, you should definitely make it your business to know the players' habits without this aid. i also think they sort of make you lazy, i.e., use it as a crutch. when you get into multi-tabling, it is a great tool to use, as you can't get a great read on your opponents.

note that to get real time info, you need to have pokertracker open and mining the data off your hard drive, which i believe only occurs with partypoker and skins...but i could be wrong about that. in other words, if you play other sites, it does no good at all. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

cheers!
Old 03-14-2005, 06:06 PM

You can use HUDs pretty effectively with other sites but the info is delayed by 5mins or so because the hand histories get emailed to you, you check the email and then pokertracker has to process it and get it to the HUD. Not ideal like the partypoker locally stored hand histories but helpful nonetheless.