Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What stakes do you prefer?
Stars .01/.02 ($5 buy-in) 12 37.50%
Stars .05/.10 or .10/.25 ($10 or $25 buy-in) 11 34.38%
Party .25/.50 ($25 buy-in) 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Wait until the turn or raise the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, second part then, I smooth call, maniac raises and BB-Re-raises. Time to cap, let them bet for me until the turn or start to get concerned BB really has something and maniac is going to make it expensive to find out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would continue waiting until the turn, planning to raise BB at that point.

A call/cap on the flop would probably slow BB down, unless he has a monster, and I don't think you want to create a situation where he bets when he likely has you beat but checks many of the hands you're beating.

In any event, though, if you cold-call the flop and then the turn action goes bet, raise, 3-bet, cap, that would be an uncomfortable situation. Having a maniac at the table does have its hazards. Getting trapped in 3-way pots with a maniac involved isn't much fun once you begin to suspect your hand is second best.

But, anyway, I don't think you should be too worried yet, when the flop action comes back two bets to you. BB probably realizes Button is a maniac (the easiest thing to notice at the table is who the maniac is, when there is one). At this point, BB probably thinks you're clinging to JJ or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I got scared like a little girl and folded facing two on the flop. I think if I was not ready to execute my smooth call play I should have just raised BB to begin with. I just figured that BB is unknown, he has to be three-betting for value on this board and with the maniac in thought I was going to pay way to much to see a showdown and find out. I later discovered BB is a bigger maniac than BTN. I don't think they were colluding, but I failed to consider that BB may have played previously with the BTN and know he is a LAG even though I have not played with him. It can add to variance, but it was a sweet spot to be in after I figured it out, down wind of two LAGs at an otherwise weak tight table. I couldn't stay long, but kicked myself for not calling/raising the flop. Hands like this is why my disclaimer stands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For the curious (in white), <font color="white">BTN Capped the flop, Turn 5h, turn capped after BB led out, river 5d, BB led out, BTN raised, BB called, BTN showed Ac5s, BB showed Ks9c. Results that I would have lost is irrelevant, I made a bad play on the flop. Live and learn.</font>

Thanks for all the responses and votes.

Vern

Standard Disclaimer, I am by no means an expert at any of this.